Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo charger replacement

Users Country Flag

turbo charger replacement

Just wondering if anyone can help with my multivan. it runs but has no power. it can get to 100kmh but slowly. glow plug lights is on and flashing. towards the end of my last drive in it the engine symbol light came on. looking at the user manual the flashing glow plug light indicates the enhgine management system is not working and the the engine symbol light idicates a faulty catalytic convertor.
    took it to local VW dealer and they diagnosed it to be a faulty turbocharger

could someone enlghten me if they think this is the case. i thought that a turbo ****s itself there would be smoke ,noise etc

any comment would appreciated

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    It could also be that piping between the turbo and intercooler has popped off a fitting or cracked? Equally though...yeah, the turbo bearing could have seized.

I was given to understand that smoke, fire and noise when turbos fail tends to only happen when the housing itself has failed...

Check all the small hoses around the engine as they use vacuum pressure to operate lots of the various valves etc , we had a turbo replaced in our T5 and it was still giving issues . After hunting around the engine bay I found a split on the bottom side of a vacuum hose which was causing problems , I could hear the sucking sound even with the engine idling .

Users Country Flag
    Petrol or diesel?
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    Petrol or diesel?
    I would imagine if it has glow plugs then its a diesel .

Users Country Flag
    It needs diagnosing, starting point being a scan of the ecu to see what the codes are. There is no point speculating on what has occurred.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I would imagine if it has glow plugs then its a diesel .
    LOL!
    I missed that bit!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    It needs diagnosing, starting point being a scan of the ecu to see what the codes are. There is no point speculating on what has occurred.
    This is almost the same thing that is happening with my T5 and the codes aren't really helping.
    I'm waiting for a DPF differential sensor to arrive to see if that makes a difference when I rescan.
    Currently, I have a negative number.
    Maybe the sensor has carked it?'
    We'll see.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Hi there, hopefully it is not collapsed/disintergrated internals in the DPF restricting exhaust flow, as this can trigger warning lights and send into limp mode. Cheers, Scott.

Users Country Flag

Funny that my VW T4 2003 Transporter has the same problem. No power and the after about 1 min the glow plug light on the dash flashes. So I bought a new turbo cartridge and is still the same. I finished changing it today and my test drive was no power at all. I was thinking it is a vacuum problem. So tomorrow I'll start checking and see what it could be. If any body know what it is would help for sure. Cheers
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast