Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt

Timing Belt

So thinking it might be time I replaced the timing belt on my 10yr old and only 30k T5 tdi340 103kw (one owner)
    Given the low mileage was thinking just replacing the belts, not waterpump, tensioner idlers and seals at this stage what do you reckon??
    Also should I go genuine VW? Belt $240 or Kit without water pump $592 ?

Any one had experience with "Gates" belts and kits from 'Sparesbox' at half the price.
    There's lots of cheepies out there but Gates belts seem to come out on top with Sparebox the best price?

Thanx

Users Country Flag
    VW have a kit and you can get the water pump for not too much so long as you return the old one.
    I think it was about $700 all up.

That said, Gates belts are top notch but I don't know if they come with the same warranty as VW.
    The thing with the water pump is that has an 'O' ring around it which is probably the likely thing to fail over time.
    I think the service manual only gives all those parts a life of about 6 or 7 years.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    I've run a Gates Sparesbox kit in the Yeti for 77thou kms now, so it's been fine, but I'd be doing the waterpump for piece of mind, and you are right there.....
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Do the full kit, including water pump and serpentine belt.

These don't have a great reputation for this kind of thing.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

been trying to source a Gates serpentine belt 6PK1550XS which is recommended by Gates
    But Sparesbox, Repco and others recommend and only stock the 6PK1555
    So emailed Gates and.....
    Quote "With the accessory drive belt, there were issues with this VW drive that caused belts to stretch excessively in a short period of time. This in turn can cause the belt to dislodge and in some cases get tangled up with the timing belt creating very expensive repairs. VW have been replacing the timing covers on these cars for sometime now to prevent the drive belts from interfering with the cam belt however they have not upgraded the accessory belt. We created 6PK1550XS with Kevlar cords and a shorter length to handle the elongation issue. So this belt is better than the genuine VW belt for this application."

You also should look into getting what vw sell as a "Robustness Kit " this is a VW made divider which will save your engine from major damage if the serpentine belt lets go . There are some who have found out the hard way when it happens , my mates one was at a workshop for a auto repair and they started the van up to warm the engine , a few minutes later they found the engine had stopped for no reason and then found the belt had tangled with the timing belt causing a few grand in repairs to the engine . The following day I booked ours in to do its belt and fit that kit so we did not have the same result , VW should have fitted the kit to all of them but there was no recommendation by them .

Users Country Flag
    These guys are Gates distributors..........and have branches in QLD.
    https://www.statewidebearings.com.au
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Thanx Sunny, Is the Robustness Kit only available as a genuine part from VW at how many $$$$
    Is it the whole cover or just a divider and what's it made of plastic or steel?
    thinking I might just make one.

Users Country Flag
    Wish my Transporter had a timing belt......
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Thanx Sunny, Is the Robustness Kit only available as a genuine part from VW at how many $$$$
    Is it the whole cover or just a divider and what's it made of plastic or steel?
    thinking I might just make one.
    it wasn't that costly less than a hundred bucks from memory not sure of its composition but I would imagine its hopefully metal and yes Genuine VW .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast