Thread: T6 Water Pump

Users Country Flag

T6 Water Pump

Hi fellow Transporter owners,

My 2017 T6 has just had its 90,000KM service and in the process of collecting it from the dealer I asked when the dreaded toothed belt replacement is due.

The comment that I didn't expect was that if I intend hanging on to the vehicle for any length of time I should consider having the water pump replaced at the same time.

I'm no mechanic, but I think I can see the rationale; if the water pump fails in the next year or three then there's a fair bit of expensive labour involved.

I have no reason to suspect I'm being conned but what's the experience of the forum with T6 water pump life expectancy?

Thanks and Regards,

pj

Users Country Flag
    There you go T6 Water Pump

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Users Country Flag
    They tend to leak, rather than just fail.

Besides, once you remove the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, the water pump is only three more bolts to undo.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Beny.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

It does seem to make sense... provided the cost of the water pump itself is not too exorbitant. I haven't come across any cheap genuine VW parts yet and I'm pretty sure the dealer won't go with a non-genuine article but I may be getting ahead of myself. Given the current travel restrictions, the road trip tp WA isn't happening this month as planned so it will take longer than originally intended to travel the 9,000km to bring up the next service. Cheers, pj