Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T6 Underbody Plastic

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I was driving over highways with at most 25mm of water sheeting across it. I wasn't doing creek crossings.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyMax View Post
    I was driving over highways with at most 25mm of water sheeting across it. I wasn't doing creek crossings.
    So, did you approach the dealer yet, did they inspected your van?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Not yet. I was hoping to get my next service done there but my change of lease company has made servicing much more of a PITA so I will probably have to visit the dealer just to get this issue looked at.

I've a 2012 T5.1 - campervan.

The plastic "shield" on the RHS ripped off years ago (driving through shallow water, from memory) and I made a replacement with checker-plate aluminium. Kept the neighbours awake for hours with the hammering. I was irritated to have to do it as the original was just pussy! I didn't even THINK to approach VW under warranty.
    Not long afterward, the LHS "shield" folded under when driving on wet roads and partly tore. I couldn't believe it. What a dreadful piece of work. I managed to repair and reinstall it. Yesterday, for no apparent reason it folded under again, was damaged and needs replacing. It's a bit complex in shape to make a replacement I think.
    I have tried everywhere to find a part number - can't find a number on the item itself. My VW parts dealer doesn't seem to know what the part is - suggested it's the under-engine shield!

Does anyone have a Part Number please?? What's its NAME?

Thanks folks.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Another example of VW,s failure to test in real world conditions like we have in Australia , I could give you lots of examples of parts failure due to our climate and VW,s lack of understanding different countries climate.

Our climate is not considered a wet climate compared with other countries like the UK where they sell lots of T5.1 & T6s.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Our climate is not considered a wet climate compared with other countries like the UK where they sell lots of T5.1 & T6s.
    Try telling that to those here in Qld and the northern part where yearly flooding rains would easily exceed what most of Europe would get and add in the fact at lot of our roads are substandard in comparison to most of Europe , drainage from roads creek crossings and loads of other factors would make driving through low level waters a common occurence .

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMax View Post
    This is the point I was trying to make Sunny,"at most 25mm". I have seen lots of vision [SBS news] of flooding of various parts of Europe with cars being washed away, bobbing away in floodwaters.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Yes you are right Jets but lets not take away the fact that VW have made many blunders in relation to not recognising local conditions. Dont start me on the infamous Tiptronic n the early T5 and how easy it was for the fuild to burn due to our climate , once its lost its viscosity thats when you lose your auto .

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Dont start me on the infamous Tiptronic n the early T5 and how easy it was for the fuild to burn due to our climate , once its lost its viscosity thats when you lose your auto .
    When I bought my first T4 [approx. 03] that was an auto., I read all the faults by VW on not recommending changing the oil & filter &
    overheating trans. that owners are still re-engineering to make them last. Ref. Eurovans over on the Vortex forum.
    What is disappointing is that the T5 seems to be exactly the same after over a decade of bad experiences with T4/ Eurovan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast