Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: T5 Water Pump in R5 5cyl.TDI (discussion thread)

Water pump was cactus. It cost me $780 for pressure test, new water pump, 10.5 litres synthetic oil and Labour. More bad news but, I was told that the manifold has started to crack so theres another $1000 or more. Lucky that I really like this van.

Users Country Flag
    Getting the manifold off isn't too bad. Might be worth looking into getting it repaired, and possibly braced around that flange.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Hi Transporter,

I know your post was 9 years ago but did the Kolbenschmidt water pump go the distance ? I've got a late '09 T5 2.5 with 135K so looking to replace the pump before I get any issues. Just trying to decide between the Kolbenschmidt, Meyle, and Tru Flow (Saleri) which are all around the same price.

Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RobTrans View Post
    Hi Transporter,

I know your post was 9 years ago but did the Kolbenschmidt water pump go the distance ? I've got a late '09 T5 2.5 with 135K so looking to replace the pump before I get any issues. Just trying to decide between the Kolbenschmidt, Meyle, and Tru Flow (Saleri) which are all around the same price.

Cheers
    I’ve sold the van in 2016 with bit over 140kkm. So, I don’t know. Try to get Dayco if they make one for it or GMB. From the 3 you’ve listed, I’d go with Meyle but only if they’d a HD version.
    If yours lasted 135kkm then maybe they fixed the issue, in which case I’d go with the same that you have in.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for that, I'll check out Dayco. The Meyle is a HD but I can't find a local distributor so would have to buy it fro UK or Germany online.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RobTrans View Post
    Thanks for that, I'll check out Dayco. The Meyle is a HD but I can't find a local distributor so would have to buy it fro UK or Germany online.
    It could be worthwhile, since their HD pumps should have SiC/SiC axial seal. Which makes a big difference to how long the w.pump will last.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Just in the middle of doing a waterpump on mine.165K up, think it's an original pump.Bearing is toast, it's a wonder it kept the water in(mostly) at all. Started losing water about a week ago, few cm over a day or two.Cream in the oil filler.
    Checked the weep hole/hose at first and it was blocked.Cleaned it out, so water can escape.
    Replacing engine oil and filter too.
    Had some help from this guide, but didn't follow all of it.
    How to replace Water Pump UPDATED - The Brick-yard

Didn't need to remove the RHS inner mudguard, got to the lower rad hose, bit tricky, but ok.
    Shifted the water reservoir towards the manifold, only disconnected the small hose near the battery.
    Didn't remove the intake hose

Undoing the nut didn't require holding the central shaft, as per the guide.The gear held it in place.The central shaft at the gear end is not a Torx fitting, it is a triple spline 6mm.A torx T30 fits but will be loose.
    Nut is 24mm.
    Removing the pump was the hardest part, awkward more than anything.More water drained into the sump and out, when i did this.

Now to fit the replacement tomorrow.
    Have gone with a Borg and Beck BWP2136(suits AXE engine) through SCA, bit over half the price of a genuine.Metal impellor.

Oh yeah, i picked up the replacement pump, before tackling this. I was a bit shocked how physically small these pumps are, thought they would be a bit bigger.

edit:
    pump all done, no leaks.
    i also removed and checked the thermostat operation
    removed the miniscule weep fitting totally(the one that gets blocked easily) and fitted a 90deg fitting and large diameter hose.
    Last edited by Rebuild; 21-07-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: more info
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Oh no...
    Our 2009 2.5TDi Caravelle (108,000kms) has started using water.

What is and isn't happening:
    - Engine oil not rising and no sign of emulsification
    - No obvious water leaks
    - No oil in radiator reservoir
    - Using about 500mL per 500kms
    - Heater is working
    - Engine temperature is fine
    - When I open the reservoir after car has been running, even for 5 minutes, a build up of pressure is released, indicated by blow back into the reservoir.

I have read that a build up in pressure may be a result of the pressure valve in the cap not working properly. I removed this yesterday and gave it a clean to ensure it compresses freely. I still need to run the car to test this🤞
    Losing water, but no leaks

We really need our bus to get our 4 kids around, and with 2 of them having a physical disability, I really hope it's not a costly and lengthy repair!

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

When our T5 water pump went , like yours water was going down but no increase in oil level . We were coming back from Chinchilla in QLD to Brisbane and the warning light came on being miles from anywhere I was in panic mode . So I topped it up from some bottled water and the light went out a hundred or so kays later it came on again so topped it again until we got home . I waited 4 weeks before getting it fixed and it never went again . I am sure they must have fitted better pump .

Users Country Flag

There's a rubber tube that runs down the back of the block, that comes out of roughly where the water pump lives.

Check that for coolant. If there's evidence of coolant coming out of it, replace the water pump.

Pro tips: you need the tool kit to extract the pump. It's pretty cheap off eBay. Also, with whatever pump you get, make sure you buy genuine VW seals for it. The other thing is, be prepared to replace the engine oil, as you'll most likely contaminte it with coolant when you pull the pump out. Happens no matter whether the coolant is drained or not.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast