Support VWWC

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 Water Pump in R5 5cyl.TDI (discussion thread)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I agree with you mate, when you pay for the new part, there is no deposit to be charged to you, as long as you're getting a brand new pump not reconditioned one. The pump can be replaced in 1-2 hours with the new coolant filled in and cooling system bled. However the time to clean the mess in the engine sump can take 1-2 hours, since the oil/coolant needs to be flushed from the engine lubricating system. So, it is indeed very expensive job. Replacing the w/pump at 50,000km, if it lasted, could save a lot of money. I will definitely check mine at 110,000km and replace it if in doubts.

If you want to check the w/pump condition;
    Only go to the next step when you detect coolant loss and you had to top up the coolant in the coolant reservoir (the system is closed needs topping up only if the coolant is disappearing somewhere)

Remove 3bolts (red arrows) and pry off the w/pump cover (it has rubber gasket, don't break it)
    Push on the side of the w/pump gear, to feel for any excessive play in the w/pump bearing
    Last edited by Transporter; 23-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Got a call from the mechanic on Friday about my water pump issues and he says he can't get a quote on the cost of the new replacement pump WTF !! "could be between $400 and $600" WTF. How can a genuine part not have a cost to supply ?? Is it that VW want the old back to destroy the evidence before sending the new ?? Bugger Bugger Bugger. Really need to find an honest mechanic. And I've been trying to talk my wife into a new Transporter !! Ha Ha , not much of a chance of that at the moment eh !! No so happy Jan.

The new pump is around $300, I can send you one if your mechanic can't get it.

Users Country Flag
    My T5 is at 47000ks now, to check this pump visually do you inspect when carrying out oil change and do you need to change coolant at same time? Thanks for any help.

Damo.

You don't need to change the coolant. Just check the small dia. hose at the back of the engine and also remove the cover over the w/pump as it is described in the pictures above.

Users Country Flag
    Thankyou sir will inspect it when i do my next oil change.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Just researching a new pump price and finding the appropriate tooling to carry out the task. Looks like i need to set TDC with a tool and also tooling required to remove and replace the pump. I am thinking about buying these tools to do the job as i plan on having the van for a long time. Anyone used the correct tooling to do the job at home or just made do with tools they have already? If i get the tooling i could then loan it our to others that prefer to do the job at home. I prefer to do all my won maintenance on my VW's.

Users Country Flag
    I just hit 50K after returning from SA. I gave the van a check over and noticed that my coolant is now below minimum.

No emulsion at the oil cap or the dip stick. I cannot see any tell tale leak at the water pump. No alarm in the dash - yet.

I'm thinking that I'll get the water pump replaced as a precaution. I intend to keep this van for a very long time. I just had a quote for $640 to fit a Kolbenschmidt pump. This appears a bit heavy.

I'll get the cooling system pressure checked. I guess a head/gasket failure is the worst possible case.

The joys of VW ownership.

Just out of interest sake when our pump started to leak 60,000 all we got was the coolant level light would come on around every 150 kays after topping up . After around 3 weeks of looking for signs of a leak I took it to VW who replaced the pump with no mention of water in the oil , and to be quite honest I never saw any sign of water in the oil myself so where the water was going to I have no idea maybe such small amounts did not contaminate the oil to any visible degree .

Quote Originally Posted by MultiplexMan View Post
    I just hit 50K after returning from SA. I gave the van a check over and noticed that my coolant is now below minimum.

No emulsion at the oil cap or the dip stick. I cannot see any tell tale leak at the water pump. No alarm in the dash - yet.

I'm thinking that I'll get the water pump replaced as a precaution. I intend to keep this van for a very long time. I just had a quote for $640 to fit a Kolbenschmidt pump. This appears a bit heavy.

I'll get the cooling system pressure checked. I guess a head/gasket failure is the worst possible case.

The joys of VW ownership.
    It's very rare that head gasket fails and if it was replaced on any T5, I would always doubt it that it was at the fault, especially when the replacement didn't solve the coolant loss.

The price you were quoted is OK. The pump is expensive, you will need new coolant, in most cases new oil and filter for the engine.

To those of you who plan to DIY. Make sure that you have right tools for the job, if it's your first w/pump to replace, it will take you a long time or even worst.

Users Country Flag

I'm pretty disappointed to be frank. I've owned VW vehicles all my life and the T5 has been the most disappointing compared to the others (T2; Golf I, III, IV, V; Polo II, III).

50,000 km out of a water pump is pathetic. I am doubly cheesed off as I asked the VW dealer on several occassions, whilst the van was under warranty, if my water pump was part of the recall. Evidently it was not. If this is the performance of a standard production water pump...

The cost of ownership is starting to climb on this van. I planned to keep the vehicle and was trusting that it would remain reliable provided I maintained it. This coming "service" will exceed the $1000 mark. That's Lexus territory!

I received a letter from VW yesterday for a fix on the cooling fan electrics. Another trip to the dealer.

EDIT: Thanks Transporter. The head gasket was worst case and I have no other symptoms to suggest it.
    I'll talk to the workshop this morning. The cost of the fluids should "come off" the total service bill so hopefully it will all be under $1000. I think they quoted it as a job seperate from a service.
    Last edited by MultiplexMan; 21-03-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast