Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 Water Pump in R5 5cyl.TDI (discussion thread)

I wonder if these problems have had an influence on the decision to not include the 5 cyl. in the next T5?
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

they say when water pump goes, then water enters oil. to this day noone can explain why 20 liters of water did not rise oil level or change color, just something ive always wondered and will probably never know.

It shouldn't enter the oil, there is a drain hole at the back of the engine, but the problem is when it has been leaking for a long time, the corrosion blocks the drain hole, and then it gets into the engine. The worst case is when the shaft breaks and all the water goes straight into the oil, but these things should only happen to an engine that is neglected.

Brian

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    You're right the hole at the back gets blocked, but it happens long time before the coolant starts leaking through the seal and destroying the w/p bearing. I doubt that shaft ever brakes, that would be a disaster for the timing gear train.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post

Interestingly enough my dealer needed 2 days to get the pump in and wanted to charge me deposit for the old one, when I question that I was told that they’re sending them to Germany for recycling
    They told me the same thing when I wanted a T4 waterpump. I think VW Germany are just trying to show that they are "green" & a responsible manufacturer. With some people this can influence sales. An example of this thinking is the Toyota Prius, particularly in the US.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    They told me the same thing when I wanted a T4 waterpump. I think VW Germany are just trying to show that they are "green" & a responsible manufacturer. With some people this can influence sales. An example of this thinking is the Toyota Prius, particularly in the US.
    I beleive that they just want to keep it in. Why would you waste the energy to send something 20,000km away for recycling, when you want to save the planet?

Hi guys my water pump experience , about 4 years ago the van had about 50.000 ks and on a return trip from Moto Cross racing with my son out at Mundubbera returning to Brisbane . The water level light came on so topped it up and it came on again about 120 kms later , this went on for the next 4 weeks no sign of water in oil and no sign of water leaking out anywhere , really puzzeling . Eventually took into VW service $1400 later new pump fitted and was told they had to remove engine to do the job , now I see on the brickworks that someone in the UK without formal training and some basic non genuine tools did the same job without engine removal .Was I taken for a ride ???? is it a requirement to remove the T5 2.5 to do a water pump , I should have been suspicious as they did the whole job in less than a day !! . Now I also since have been told to pay deposit etc when buying parts for my sons T4 [ refused each time ] bought a new vacumm brake pump and they wanted the old one back replaced the water pump and they wanted the old one back , now I was only replacing the pump whilst engine was out for swap job and I wanted to do the timing belt so water pump was done at same time . Now I don,t know about you lot but "I " owned the old water pump which was still in good condition and vacumm pump as far as I am concerned if VW want them back they should pay us for the parts as they are ours in the first place , I was told that the actual price for metal parts was double until you returned the old ones and as I said I refused . It stinks as far as I am concerned . Howard

Users Country Flag
    Bugger, bugger, bugger. This has just happened to my T5. Why don't the VW repair guys just tell you outright at 50,000 klm that it should be replaced. Another problem for the water disappearing from the tank apparently can be the oil cooler as it also uses water from the radiator and if it develops a crack or split pipe the water can leak into the oil. Very costly by the sounds of it.

It's easy to check if the w/pump is leaking. There is a small dia. black hose on the side of the engine block closer to the gearbox that can be seen when looking from below (side of the engine closer to the firewall). That hose will have pinky looking coolant deposits at the end or could still be leaking from it. It's still easier to remove the w/pump cover (only 3 bolts) and check for the movement at the w/pump gear, rather than removing the oil cooler. If the gear moves you know for sure that the w/pump is shot.

That's the new pump fitted in my T5, showing the gear.

Last edited by Transporter; 22-02-2012 at 06:26 PM.

We all have had this problem before and I will repeat what I said last year about "recycling" consider this . You buy your van complete with all its bits etc , something fails and you go to VW for a new part they tell you you have to pay a deposit for the new part {mainly larger metal components} here is whats wrong guys "YOU " own that part worn out broken or whatever , if VW want it back they should pay "US" as we already own the part . Its a nice gesture for VW to want to recycle but if so then give us a percentage reduction in price for these parts . The conspiracy theories are a nice touch and do have some merit . Howard PS our water pump carked from memory at only 60.000ks , what got up my nose was the cost around $1400 as they told me the engine had to be removed , must have been a quiet day as our van was finished around 4pm same day it was booked in ,hmmmm maybe they used several mechanics to do it so fast .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast