Support VWWC

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 Tyres 17" what is available in OZ

Users Country Flag

T5 Tyres 17" what is available in OZ

It is common knowledge between T5er's who have 17" wheels that tyres are not widely available like for 16" wheels and there are less choices.

My T5 came on Michelin Pilot Premacy (around $500each) which I replaced at 37,000km with almost no tread remaining.

At 37,000km - Fitted Hankook DynaPro RA23 ($195each) and got 43,000km out of them, and if it wasn't for the puncture and small leak that caused one tyre to wear out on edges they could last 48,000 maybe even 50,000km. Frequently checked and pumped to 50psi (Van is fully loaded 1005 of the time).

Today at 80,013km - Fitted Kumho Solus KH15 ($237each)
    I wasn't very pleased with the choice but I was told by 3 tyre businesses in Adelaide that Hankook RA23 is not available anywhere in OZ and I didn't want to wait 6 weeks. Anyway I checked some review of the Kumho KH15 today and this is what I found Kumho Tyres Australia Pty Ltd | PR Australian Rally Championships
    After fitting them the ride is much quieter than on almost worn out Hankooks (otherwise RA23 was very quiet tyre and the noise was only from the road, not from the tyre tread).

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Just an update; finally yesterday 06/09/2012 at approx 102000km, I've put GoodYear Cargo Vector 215/60R/17c on my T5. The first impressions aren't good. The tyres are noisy and hard, I had to drop the pressure down to 36PSI (from 65PSI) to get it to some acceptable level. The rolling noise is something to consider, if you thinking about buying them, and unless they last 70k-80k km, they're not worth of the comfort that is lost.
    At 132800km for the second time I went with the Hankook RA23. It feels like I've just bought a new van, nice and quiet ride again.
    So, what tyres are you using and how many km's are you getting?
    Last edited by Transporter; 27-11-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Still got Hankooks on - looks like I may have an issue when it's time to change from what you have said, Transporter. Would like to hear of your longer term experience with the Kumho tyres.
    Golf V TDI 2005 - SOLD
    Volvo C30 D5 - I've got a hat as well!
    Multivan Highline T5 TDI 4Motion 2005
    Hond Civic VTI 2001

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    How many km's have you done on them?

Users Country Flag
    Maxxis MA P1 235/55/R17 on my Multi
    I'm lovin em, so far
    They were just fitted on the second hand Multi when I bought it, they've done about 20 thou so far, and look like going 40 to 45 at a guess
    But I have no idea how much (I might be in for a shock?)

M
    Last edited by Transporter; 24-10-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Hilight text.

How many km's have you done on them?
    Probably only 20,000 Kms at the moment.
    Golf V TDI 2005 - SOLD
    Volvo C30 D5 - I've got a hat as well!
    Multivan Highline T5 TDI 4Motion 2005
    Hond Civic VTI 2001

Had Vanco Contacts on when I bought the van at 55K.Possibly were originals too, going by the wear.Around $350 each to replace IIRC.
    Replaced at 73K with Hankook RA23.Nearly up for replacement soonish after 42K.Had two sidewall blowouts,one on a dirt track,one from impact with something on bitty(so the tyrefitter reckoned).Both were rears, oddly enough.Don't think I'll go with them again.Run 45psi
    Last edited by Rebuild; 24-10-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin View Post
    Maxxis MA P1 235/55/R17 on my Multi
    I'm lovin em, so far

Went down to Wye River week before last, along the Great Ocean Road, which turned out to be blocked.
    Pitch black and driving rain all the way up through Deans Marsh around to Foster and back down to Rye River.
    Couple of tight bends took me by surprise, and rather than brake just steered into them with way too much speed.
    If those Maxxis weren't so dirty, I'd have kissed them when I got to Wye River.
    Absolutely amazed at their grip in the wet and sloppy conditions.
    And that was with 6 people and lots of luggage, so getting towards 3 ton.
    I'm happy!

M

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin View Post
    Went down to Wye River week before last, along the Great Ocean Road, which turned out to be blocked.
    Pitch black and driving rain all the way up through Deans Marsh around to Foster and back down to Rye River.
    Couple of tight bends took me by surprise, and rather than brake just steered into them with way too much speed.
    If those Maxxis weren't so dirty, I'd have kissed them when I got to Wye River.
    Absolutely amazed at their grip in the wet and sloppy conditions.
    And that was with 6 people and lots of luggage, so getting towards 3 ton.
    I'm happy!

M
    What load rating they have?
    I found they guarantee them for 40,000 miles, that's fantastic, I should try them next time.

Users Country Flag
    103V

That guarrantee is OS, so not much chop here, Transporter
    BUT, they won't guarrantee them for 64,000 ks unless the bulk of them will do that
    Mine went on the van around 115,000 ks, just before I bought it. I checked my odo is at 143,000, so they've actually done close to 30,000
    Can't see a problem getting 60,000 or so

Had a couple of T4 Transporters at 2.5 ton with static load
    Used to chew through rears, usually the left
    Tried Cargos, Agilus, Vanquip and a couple of others I can't remember
    All no good, about 25,000 ks and they'd be badly scalloped and noisy as hell
    Soon as I put some Maxxis on (different to the VIP ones I have now) problem solved

So I'm starting to lean towards Maxxis, for the vans anyway.

But I'd like to check pricing before I replace with the same
    I like good tyres, but not if I need a bank loan!

M

If anyone is looking to use a more 4WD tyre, I went with Yokohama Gelolander HT-S 235 / 60 / 17 (103 H) .
    They were $270 a tyre. They are slightly bigger in diameter --> makes the Van look more rugged!
    Have just done 12,000 km in the last 2 months in WA, including sand/ gravel / corrugations / rock.
    Have had no problems with these tyres. Will have to wait and see whether they wear more than a light truck tyre.

This is also the only tyre in Australia in that size that has the load rating.
    Last edited by Transporter; 10-06-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Add weight and speed limit

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast