Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 transporter aftermarket radio options

T5 transporter aftermarket radio options

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to replace the stock radio in my newly purchased 2012 t5 transporter, I would like to add a second set of speakers in the rear, maybe a slim under seat sub as well, reverse cam is something I would like also.
    Just looking on eBay there seems to be many options, hoping you guys can pass on your knowledge, would like to keep below $1000 for the head unit.
    This looks ok.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=280897701314

Stock current unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-image-jpg  

This subject will bring out lots of pros and cons of aftermarket units , lots of forum members are supporters of genuine VW RNS units . My self I am a supporter of these units like you have highlighted , since 2005 when we bought our first T5 I have fitted a variety of Chinese units like the one you have posted . What you may not know is that there are lots of people here in Australia who are acting as Drop Shippers for these products from Chinese companies , so you may find the price is higher than the same unit direct from China.
    Some of the early units did have some problems with quality of components which would lead to failures , but then so did our VW factory fitted unit . Okay there are two different types of these units from China most of the ones you see on Ebay are Windows based operating systems , these are pretty good but lack some ability to cope with changing functions quickly . The latest ones are now coming out as pure Android operating systems , the one we have fitted currently is this one Erisin ES9405A Android Car DVD Player . When I purchased it back in January it was the newest release of the Android system . I have to be honest this one is miles ahead of any of the other Windows ones . You can monitor all of the onboard systems via a Bluetooth adaptor which plugs into the OBD port of the van , it allows you to see fault codes and all engine parameters via an inbuilt App / Torque Engine Management https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv13Nc4FXQY The unit is a bit hard at first to get your mind around as it has so many more functions than you would get in a factory one . Price wise I got mine for $465 , the only extras you may need is if you want a digital TV decoder or reverse camera . As I said before many will pour scorn on these units but as I have pointed out before . A top of range VW RNS unit with all these functions will set you back up to $3000 plus , I look at it this way if I want to upgrade my unit $465 is a small price to pay for all the latest functions and mapping for GPS alone , from what I have read to upgrade the mapping of the VW units GPS can set you back several hundred dollars on its own .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 25-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Don't agree with Sunny at all. Those Chinese units are actually rubbish compared to an OEM RNS510 ......

AND you can have a genuine RNS510 for less than $1000 delivered to your door .... you certainly don't have to pay more than that. Have a look on Ebay. And at less than $500 more than the cheap and poor quality chinese units you'd be silly to go any other way.

OEM Maps also only sell for $55 through dealers on this forum so the long terms costs are actually quite low ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Disagree but lets not start a war Sharkie I have been very happy with my units and so have several other VW Forum members I have fitted them to . Yes there will probably be more higher spec components inside the RNS units but the Chinese are now fitting similar Japanese made components into their units . They learn very fast that consumers want quality so they keep getting better all the time . Maybe next time you remove your door trims you may like to see where VW get their speakers from .
    T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-20140825_132958-jpg
    The other thing is lots of the add on items like Bluetooth Ipod Reverse camera and several other features have to be purchased separately for RNS and then you have the van coded to make them work . Okay that's my final word I wont contribute any more on this one as its my personal choice , I hope that Thermosc has enough information as he had asked for in the first place .

Thanks guys for the info, I like the fact that the android unit has the functions I require built in. Sounds like the rns units require a fair bit of work and extra parts to get the same features up and running.
    Sunny,I have a couple of questions, can I purchase the unit from the website you linked above? What do you think of the tv box, 3G modem, and thier own rev cam? Do I need any other parts to fit this in my t5 transporter? 2din facia ect.
    atm my 2012 4motion transporter does not have a mf steering wheel, but I'm thinking of retrofitting at some stage, do you know if the unit will integrate with this?
    Thanks again.

IN2VWS Guest
    I am going to side with Sharkie on this one.....RNS510 is the way to go.
    Sunny, how much time do you spend looking at the screen waiting for a fault code to pop up, or looking at the engine parameters?
    Can you change any of the parameters you are looking at? Or just look at them?

Users Country Flag
    If you dont want to spend $1000 on a RNS510 and not worried about Satnav, Id go for a RCD510 but just make sure its a 190 or 190A Ending part number so you can connect a genuine vw camera to the head unit
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS
    BLUETOOTH KITS, REVERSE CAMERAS, SATNAV, UPGRADES/MODIFICATIONS, DIAGNOSTICS. ​0420839266
    BRISBANE/GOLDCOAST/IPSWICH
    www.facebook.com/Darkhorsedevelopments www.darkhorsedevelopments.com

Well IN2VWS not sure what you mean but I did not expect that the head unit would allow the owner to modify settings it's just a way of seeing a problem without the need for a laptop . With the Bluetooth OBD unit I can see engine performance and any faults via my phone or tablet plus the head unit itself . As for time the Torque app comes on after a few seconds of starting up the unit is very fast compared to windows systems . Big plus is that in a wifi hotspot or in my driveway I can download new GPS software or any specific apps try that with an RNS . I suppose looking at parameters is a bit gimmicky but hey I like my toys .Did I mention I can also check engine power output over a set distance . Look I know you guys don't like these Chinese units but for the money it is a good unit and as I said earlier no coding required I can plug any accessory I want to the unit without coding . Can the RNS record forward facing DVR ? Plus Reverse camera any type can connected / Bluetooth connects seamlessly without the need for extra components , I could go on but it's my personal choice .

IN2VWS Guest
    Thats right....your choice.
    Not aiming this at anyone...... When I was looking at used VW's, I saw a few with the Chinese head units in them. I bypassed those cars. I thought to myself, if they skimped on the radio, what other things on the car have been skimped on throughout its life? .....but that is just me. My 2c.

Yes sort of agree but when our van was delivered with bog standard radio cd player only ,the dealer could have optioned it up our behalf I suppose . Sir would you like a multi media player with that $2000 add Bluetooth $500 or maybe a top of range with GPS etc $3000 plus with 3 year old mapping {yes it does happen some poor sod payed 80k for his new VW SUV only to find that the Clem 7 and Airport Link were not on the maps even though Clem 7 had been open for several years before he bought the car } then naturally a Chinese for under $400 with both the tunnels on the maps at the same time as his car was purchased , it is a huge step up with all the functions built in just saying .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 01-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast