Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5 Transporter 2.5 TDI engine on last legs!

T5 Transporter 2.5 TDI engine on last legs!

Hey Guys,

Ive used the search but couldn't find anything...

My 2005 T5 Transporter 2.5 TDI (AXE engine code) with 183,000 km on the clock is just about cactus!

Its running on 4 of its 5 cylinders, I wont know exactly whats wrong with it until I strip it down, but there is a really loud pulse shooting back into the intake, at first it sounded like a exhaust manifold leak or blown head gasket... upon further inspection the noise is coming from the intake tract and creates a booming sound in the airbox.. It sounds like a WRX at low rpm but gets louder and louder once you open her up.

Its so loud that everyone looks, from people with earphones in, children, old people and even dogs stop and look around when I drive past and give me a WTF? look!

I'm presuming its an issue with head/camshaft/valve... Ive heard this engine has problems with the hydraulic lifters collapsing and damaging the camshaft but Im not sure that the symptoms would be the same....

Has anyone else heard of any specific faults with this engine...

Also Im looking for a replacement engine as I dont have the time to strip this down at the moment? VW quoted me $17,000 for an exchange, most diesel places have quoted me $12,000-$15,000 for a full rebuild, and second hand engines on ebay seem to go for about $5-6k not bad but this engine longevity seems questionable so dont want to buy another engine with high mileage...

There was a company in victoria on ebay that said they could import a brand new long motor from South Africa for $6800... Sounds almost to good to be true??

Users Country Flag
    You wont need to strip it down...worn camshaft, make sure the oil used has been the correct type, there are special cam alignment tools required for the job...from experience the remainder of the engine should fine,we have done several with the engine in situ...job ran out at about 3.5k. Lack of oil changers or poor quality tends to be the reason for the wear...once out you will see the lack of cam lobe. Just so that you know we have many customers with over 250k on the original engine highest over 600k...so reliable they are no question.

In your experience is the head usually cactus as well or is it just the camshaft and lifters? Also does the sound I described above fit in with this diagnosis?

Im just trying to visualize what is happening? I was thinking if the lobes are worn the valve wouldn't be opening but it sounds like significant pressurise from the combustion chamber is making its way into the intake?

Cheers Jai
    Last edited by Jungleboy; 17-11-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: grama

Users Country Flag
    Correct, lifters and camshaft only.....very audible noise from the intake is the tell sign..the cylinder head does not come off for this job. Feel free to call 96792900 cheers

Thanks for your help! I will call in the next couple of days when I get a spare 5 minutes.

Cheers Jai

Quote Originally Posted by volksMuller View Post
    Lack of oil changers or poor quality tends to be the reason for the wear...once out you will see the lack of cam lobe..
    not always. plenty of us do all the correct oil changes and still have these problems. the k's are right for it.another common reason can be diesel mixing with oil from tandem pump seal.

jungleboy, go the rebuild not secondhand off ebay. check your tandem pump too. regardless of the age. even a brand new one can be cactus(rusty inside from sitting on shelf)

Just got my Van back from Volksmuller I cant recommend these guys highly enough! Cam and lifters replaced also a few other things they found that weren't quiet right and now she's running better than I ever remember and all at a very reasonable price!

Nice to see a positive result & thanks for reposting.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Okay I will ask another question on this subject about 2.5 engines . Our T5 2004 has for the last couple of years been slow off the mark , in neutral it revs fine but if you put it in gear [auto] it just crawls for the first 25 to 30 metres uphill . Once the rev counter reaches 1900 rpm it takes off like a rocket the problem is then that the gear changes don't match the revs so the gear change is erratic . Sometimes it will sort of bog down when slowing down to make a turn and then the goddam limp mode kicks in . The only way to reduce that is to either keep it in sport mode or use the manual changes . I was told by VW a few years back that the Turbo was leaking oil somewhere , at the time because I had to spend $3600 on a service to the auto and the air con compressor bearing . The thought of spending another $6000 was just too much to take . As most will know this particular service by VW also lead to a catastrophic failure of the auto another $9000 . So any suggestions either on a replacement turbo or are there any companies that will overhaul the turbo , I want to sell this van and it's in such good condition I cannot sell it like this I would not feel comfortable , and yes I know it will cost more money but it is what I have to do .

Users Country Flag

sounds like egr or throttle problem.but will need a correct diagnosis....pity you are so far away happy to plug into vas and find your problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast