Thread: T5 roof racks for roof top tent advice

T5 roof racks for roof top tent advice

Hello

I've looked through many posts but don't feel like i know exactly what to get in terms of roof racks for my T5. Initially i want to carry a roof top tent and maybe in the future some other things (like a gas bottle, surfboards, ???) - basically we want to do a lot of family camping and adventures in a campervan type mode but with extra sleeping space.

I've looked at some 'cross bar' options and they seem to attach directly to the channels in the roof using the captive nuts. The main options look like these available here. They would be fine but I think a cheaper option that provides a good platform for the tent (rather than two bars) and also some room on the rack for other items could be better (like these from Offroad Accessories , 4WD & Outdoor Products - Australia). I did find a slimline roof platform but that is way out of my budget for this project (at more than $1500)

I'm heading to 4wdsupercentre tomorrow to get the roof top tent and will ask about fitting to my T5 but i'm not hopeful.

I'm wondering if there is a hack or advice for me from anyone either re choice of bars vs platform vs some other option, the mysterious T-track / roof prep that i can't find for sale. I don't know if any of the vehicle options that the 4wdsupercentre make for could be made to work without a welder (but maybe a drill). They make for Gutter Mount Vehicles, 100/105 Series LandCruiser, 120 Series Prado, Toyota 150 Series and Toyota 200 Series.

Thanks heaps for any input
    Paul

Solved this by getting some Rhino racks (heavy duty) that includes adaptors to the transporter channel in the roof and then fixing the roof top tent to directly. We were on the road for about two weeks. After some bumpy dirt roads out to diggers camp on NSW coast i had to tighten the fixings from the rack to the roof but otherwise flawless. Roof top tent was awesome for sleeping with lots of air and better views!

Great to see that you were able to find a solution Paul ... would love to see some pics of your set-up!

Been out for a few weeks, just catching up. Thumbs up for the choice.

I went with Whispbar HD some years ago and have transferred them over to my T5. Over the years I've had to make various custom brackets (including for a roof top tent) which I wouldn't have had to do with Rhino racks. They're pretty much the standard.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by paulba View Post
    Solved this by getting some Rhino racks (heavy duty) that includes adaptors to the transporter channel in the roof and then fixing the roof top tent to directly. We were on the road for about two weeks. After some bumpy dirt roads out to diggers camp on NSW coast i had to tighten the fixings from the rack to the roof but otherwise flawless. Roof top tent was awesome for sleeping with lots of air and better views!
    Hi Paul - we also used Rhino Racks on our T5 4-motion and then the T6 as well. Also put on the light alloy platform rather than the steel. It worked extremely well and preserved more payload from the 100kg maximum allowable (dynamic).

Became very useful for firewood!

A couple of photos of the T6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@goldcoaster @syncro91

Wow - these replies are from a long time ago and i'm just seeing them now! Thanks for the advice and encouragement. We've done heaps of great trips in the last 12 months using the roof top tent. We installed a bench seat in the back for the kids and I built a pretty rough sliding frame in the back so we can fit bikes, surfboards etc along side the bed. Other than that we just have a battery and fridge setup and we've been pretty basic but ready to go. It's been awesome.

T5 roof racks for roof top tent advice-front-jpg
    T5 roof racks for roof top tent advice-back-jpg