Thread: T5 noise

T5 noise

Hi all,

I’ve got a strange noise happening in my 2011 2.0 LWB. Manual with 70k on it. What I think/know so far:

It’s mid-high pitched whirring, whining noise.
    Can hear it on a smooth road starting from about 40km/h. Gets more intense as going faster, by 100 it's definitely noticeable. Only hear it while moving.
    I’m feel like it’s coming from the rear.
    Occurs (and is constant/unchanged) while in gear, clutch in, or even car switched off coasting downhill.

Last service was at a dealer, and they heard it while driving (they were doing home drop off service during rona lockdown) and suggested a wheel bearing (for $911!)…
    So I think it’s getting worse and took it to a local mechanic (and surely a better price) and he couldn’t detect any bearing noise, but when he had it running in gear said he thought it was coming from transmission/transaxle…

I’m going to rotate wheels and get aligned this week to rule that out, but it really doesn't sound like a noise tyres could make. Perhaps bearing is on the way out but not too bad yet?

Has anyone heard/had something like this?

Cheers guys, any advice appreciated.

I had a very similar issue in a previous Golf. Took it to a mechanic and was very embarrassed when he identified it as coming from a tyre. Worth looking at their condition for any unusual wear.

My guess would be bearing. If it's happening regardless of clutch etc, and it's a whirring whining sound... Bearing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Check the rear wheel alignment , ours goes out periodicaly and you can hear a change in drive line sounds . We have chicane entrance to our street and I have a habit of trying to cut it and the rear wheels cop it when that happens as I clip the island curb from time to time .