Thread: T5 New Ignition Housing and Barrel

Users Country Flag

T5 New Ignition Housing and Barrel

Hi Guys - '09 T5 Manual 2.5

I have an intermittent problem (getting more frequent) where the ignition key won't turn to the 'on' position, it happens regardless of the steering lock being engaged or not. So far, when it happens I've able to jiggle the steering wheel or roll the van forward a bit and then the key will turn to 'on' and then to 'start' ok.

My plan is to replace the ignition/steering lock housing (including ignition switch) and also the ignition key barrel basically so that I have piece of mind if I'm travelling in remote areas etc. Dealer price is approx $900 for parts about $500 for labour.

I was told by 2 mechanics (both well experienced with Transporters) that I'd be better off getting a dealer to install the parts because the new ignition key barrel needs to be 'Activated' and can only be done by a VW dealer.

I am a bit confused by this because I figured that if I ordered a replacement ignition key barrel that matched my VIN then it should just work ok with my existing keys. If the barrel comes with a new key then I can understand that the key might need to be 'activated'.

I know there are a few threads in relation to people replacing the steering lock housing themselves but I couldn't find one where they had also replaced the ignition key barrel as well .

Can anyone shed some light on what the 'activation' process involves ?
    Last edited by RobTrans; 14-12-2021 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Fix a typo or two.

Users Country Flag
    Should be fine, as you're not changing anything electronic.

Other option is to find a good automotive locksmith, and have your exist barrel rebuilt with fresh plates.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

You unplug the transponder. I have a 2nd hand barrel and lock mechanism after mine did the same. They messed up installing it as I only needed the barrel not the key and tumbler. So now I have a set of keys, the original key to open the door and the one in the fob to start the car. I also don't have the 2nd remote programmed so we only have 1 key!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys for the replies, as you stated, it is mechanical not electronic, activation is only required if a replacement key is needed.

I have found a good independent vw mechanic who works with an automotive locksmith. Both well experienced with the same issue my van has.

This brickyard thread link has some good info in it, good explanation about half way thru the thread by a member named ‘gregozedobe’.

Users Country Flag

This is an old thread but similar subject, I had an issue with my TDI ignition shorting and key getting red hot. I bought a genuine VAG ignition circuit section for the car and fitted it, now the key turns but the car now does not start! In fact no dash lights until the key is in the start position? Like its 45 degrees out of sync? Has anyone got any ideas I have taken the key and tumblers out and all seems fine, there doesn't seem to be any way to reset the ignition 45 degrees back?? Bit stuck any ideas welcome.