Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5 Multivan Highline 2007 TDI

Users Country Flag

T5 Multivan Highline 2007 TDI

List
    Q1. Auto Trans needs a filter replacement due to abrupt changes from 1-2 and 2-3. Where's a reliable place that will do the job?

Q2. Turbo leaking oil and engine done 290,000 km. Where's a decent place to get a turbo with gaskets? Experience with BW Reman, other aftermarket BW options?

Q3. Left electric sliding door actuator broken. Where's a decent place to get one?

Q4. The computer module is only generating single fault reports. I talked to a dubber devotee who talked about his experience with a wiring problem in one of his T4's. He said, when shipped to Australia, dubs are sprayed with wax to minimise salt and shipping emissions from damaging the whole vehicle. When they arrive the wax is removed before sale. If the wax near wiring connectors are damaged then errors develop and remain until the damaged wiring is repaired. I discussed the error with Auto Union and said the diagnostic process to find the fault would take about 2 hours.

Q5. Exhaust manifold studs top left missing, bottom right persistently loosening, both inducing fuel mix irregularities.

Users Country Flag
    Turbo and manifold need to come off, for full replacement of gaskets, nuts and studs. Should cover the oil leak too, as the tubo bolts directly to the cylinder block for oil supply.

As for the transmission issue, could be low fluid. Could need a full rebuild. A fluid flush typically makes them worse.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I'm assuming it's the 5 cylinder 2.5 given the exhaust stud issue?

Any Euro transmission place could handle the auto, it's not complex. Just make sure they use the correct fluid! I'd be doing the eraser on the floor under the accelerator pedal trans reset afterwards, sets your shift points.

You will pay for a genuine turbo here, and most "turbo" places seem to flog China turbo cores under their own names. Personally I get my turbo's out of the UK, generally from Darkside developments, who aren't always the cheapest ( always kills Aussie prices though ), but do have a lot of experience, and I've been endlessly impressed with their service and advice. You'll wait a week ( or two this time of year ) but so too they do generally have a cheaper name brand turbo ( Mellet etc ) as well as the better Garret option.

Knowing the motor would help for advice.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Jonwil,
    I had auto probs around 160K, even doing my own drain/filter/refills.Initially was clunking into drive while cold.Got that fixed(gearbox dismantle), then bit later something else. x2
    Gearbox in and out 3 times, ended up fully rebuilt. Total cost $9K. Would have been cheaper to do the FULL rebuild initially, around $6K-7K. Just my 2C.

thx for the info Greg.Sorry to hijack.
    I need to buy a turbo for mine at some point(180K km), as the turbine wheel has some slop. 0.5mm at the intake end at a guess
    Just checked Darkside, and a garrett delivered would work out $1400ish AU.
    In my searching, i also found Demon Pro Parts (Aust)
    Search: 1 result found for "vw axe turbo"
    $700ish
    Would you rate these, or not.
    Last edited by Rebuild; 14-12-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I'm yet to actually drive any great distance, so no idea how good/bad box is. My plan is if it's terrible I'm going to do a manual conversion. Still any auto box can be made better by messing with temps and line pressures.

Steve that's a China turbo. I've seen em, and whilst ceramic sure sounds sexy, and it's the lowest coefficient of friction bearing we currently have ( the very best total joint replacements going into people are ceramic ) you have to ask yourself why it didn't catch on with the fancy cars - BMW, Merc etc etc. I'm sure it would be fine if you keep up the oil changes, but personally I'd be getting the cheaper Mellet ( still China but at least popular ) turbo for the T5 out of Darkside if cost is an issue, or the Garret and just be done with it, as you know it's going to last beyond the life of the van.

Mellet - 400 pounds plus post:

GTB1749V BNZ / BPC PD131 / PD174 2.5 TDI Turbocharger

My turbo has a fair amount of slop too ( 277kms ), and as it's a total loss oil bearing ( shaft rides on a film of oil ) some side to side is essential. It's end to end longitudinal slop that is the main worry, and even though mine is probably more a whole mm slop over yours, it is fine for end to end. It needs a new turbo / or a rebuild, but it's certainly not urgent. The stock turbo on the BPC is a Garret so you can also look into a decent turbo place rebuilding it with genuine Garret parts, they aren't complex, just need good balancing and the end nuts put on just right! Sadly a lot of places offer rebuilds, but again are using no name china cores, defeating the whole purpose.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 15-12-2021 at 06:58 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    2.5 tdi

Q2. Turbo. Greg, is Steve's suggestion okay.

Q3. Left electric sliding door: found the sliding window hasn't sealed when closed for over a year, appears to be something wrong with the top assembly pivot mechanism. Been leaking water inside the door. And, since VW Glen Waverley repaired the door close cables, pulleys and motor they left the slide door rear hinge bolts loose. I've tightened those bolts, closed the window, reset the door connectors and the automatic open/close function started working.

Q4. The computer module. Since inadvertently fixing the window and door the acceleration, cruise control and door locks seem to be less unpredictable.

Q5. Exhaust manifold stud top left is not missing, it seems to be snapped off.

T5 Multivan Highline 2007 TDI-img_20211222_210208-jpg photo of missing/broken manifold stud.

My 6 speed auto started changing erratically at about 250,000km, and I had the valve body resleeved for about $2300 and its done 330000 now and is still working well.

Users Country Flag

Give John a call from VolksHome.
    He'll will provide a free and honest diagnostic and quote.
    Home | Volkshome Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast