Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T5 Carpet wall and floor lining

Cheers mate have sent an email to that adress look forward to hearing back

Hey sunny43.5 did you receive my email.

Should have it now 11pm Sunday sent .

Users Country Flag
    Hello,
    I have lined a few vans for conversions (here is a link to my first one.RIP. Australian Day Van Conversion - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum )and am currently working on my new to me 2005 LWB Mid roof Ex ambulance.

For sound deadening i use "Stop leak" bituminous flashing tape Bout $100 a roll. way cheaper than Dynamat but still good results. Consolidated Alloys 200mm x 10m Weatherproof Stop Leak Flashing Tape I/N 1100474 | Bunnings Warehouse The picture is wrong but its the same thing but in a roll.

you can either use existing panels, or use them to create templates as a direct copy or flipped for the other side of the van, using 3mm MDF. and if you don't have a template just wing it and have a crack at measuring it out and use a paint pen on the clip holes to mark their placement on the MDF. If you balls it up it only $15 for another massive sheet of MDF.

I get my easy stretch carpet from Daleys Australian Day Van Conversion - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum about $30 / metre on a about a 2m wide roll. will need around 10m . but better to be safe than run out. they have outlets in most capital cities.

I use Sikaflex glue Adhesive Contact Sika 1l Contact Cement Col4600au1l I/N 1210057 | Bunnings Warehouse out of a HVLP Spray gun set up. you will need a big compressor and at least a 2mm nosel to provide the airflow to get the stuff out as it quite thick but it does work. spray both surfaces and get stretching. you can clean up over-spay using turps. The carpet is so forgiving its not funny and instantly turns mdf into a schmick panel.

use 25mm "fir tree clips" from ebay in the UK to fix the panels to walls / roof. can get 100 packs for bout $30. Can burn holes for the clips in the carpet with a solder iron , its quick and clean, as the carpet tends to blunt razor blades in minutes.

Insulation for the last vans was Reflecta garage door insulation , a foil backed bubble membrane that is very strong and did a great job but it was a but pricey at about $200, but 1 roll did the roof, all walls, tail gate and the floor. Buy Green Insulation in the Building Materials Mall You can hold it all in place with the sikaflex and foil insulation tape.

For floor a 12mm ply floor screwed into some sikaflexed wood studs does the job. You need 2 sheets of ply and then cover with vynil floor of your choice.Once again Sikaflex to the rescue. Bunnings vinyl is crap and tears up too easy I reckon, but they do have the classic checkers. Industrial floor places are great for hard wearing "Altro" style vinyl. Many have offcuts as they are flooring mine site Dongas and Hospitals, so a van length is not a big deal to them.

For anyone considering doing it yourself.... all I can say is have a crack at it. Its easy and the carpet will hide all those small mistakes really well. the wobbly jigsaw cut the , patched up insulation job, all that will be hidden and your van will go from tin can to rad van, and it improves the sound dramatically.

I share this because it took a long time to figure things out in Australia after reading countless UK forum posts.......And im really bored at work.
    Hope this answers some questions for all you thread lurkers.
    Cheers,
    Blackwood.

Looks very sweet you put a lot of time into the design , as a motor trimmer by trade I know all to well what sort of time it can take to do this sort of work . I am lucky that I already have a compressor and the correct spray gun [to be honest I just pick one up from Super cheap] they work perfectly as I use mine everyday to redo hood linings when I fit sunroofs . I buy my spray glue in 20 litre drums as I go through a litre every installation anyway . Not sure about using MDF as it has nasty habit of warping if it gets damp I prefer structural plywood [in my opinion ] . If you check out some of the vans I have done on previous posts you will see I use wool blended material for sound and insulation its way cheaper and its used by most car makers these days .Good work again nice to see what others have done . Stay tuned I have another forum members van to do in the coming weeks and its going to be a doozy lots of extras being done along with the trimming side .

Users Country Flag
    Hi Sunny,

I'm new to this forum and to owning a T5(only had it one week). I'm keen to get the inside done also as I'm using the van for work and play, I live in Capalaba and was wondering if I could contact you in regards to getting this done. I'm keen to help out in any way I can.
    Cheers Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Sim T5 View Post
    Hi Sunny,

I'm new to this forum and to owning a T5(only had it one week). I'm keen to get the inside done also as I'm using the van for work and play, I live in Capalaba and was wondering if I could contact you in regards to getting this done. I'm keen to help out in any way I can.
    Cheers Simon
    Hi Simon yes would like to catch up as I am only over at Cornubia you can see the latest van I did here . http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ver-99380.html Hopefully I will have my work van back this weekend after a visit to the panel beaters for some panel massage . I decided to redo the inside as its a bit jaded after ten hard years of work .Howard PS PM me and I can send you my contact number .

Quote Originally Posted by Sim T5 View Post
    Hi Sunny,

Cheers Simon
    Hi Simon yes would like to catch up as I am only over at Cornubia you can see the latest van I did here . http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ver-99380.html Hopefully I will have my work van back this weekend after a visit to the panel beaters for some panel massage . I decided to redo the inside as its a bit jaded after ten hard years of work .Howard PS PM me and I can send you my contact number .

Users Country Flag

Great work Sunny. I wish i had the time to do that to mine. Does anyone know someone in Melbourne that does similar sound proofing work - for my next van?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12