Thread: T5 4motion grinding

Users Country Flag

T5 4motion grinding

Morning all,
    I've just picked up a T5 4motion with a BNZ and 6 speed manual transmission. It's making a nasty grinding noise when coasting. It's most noticeable driving in 5th or 6th gear when you release the accelerator the noise starts but goes away if you accelerate or push the clutch in. It's also not there at higher speeds, if your doing 100kmh in 5th and take your foot off the accelerator there's no noise but as the van slows to about 60kmh the grinding kicks in.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Users Country Flag
    Does the noise change at all while cornering? Does the frequency change if you keep the same speed but change between 5th and 6th? if you could upload a short clip to youtube of the noise it might help.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    5th and 6th gear bearings are about to send themselves through the rest of the gearbox.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, no noise change while cornering not sure about the frequency. I tried to make a clip but all you can hear is the rain ...........At the mechanics now so I'll soon know the answer.

And the answer?

How about CV joint , mine made similar unusual sounds and when jacked up in gear you could hear which side it was . New joints fitted and the noise went away , when your in those higher gears there is less pressure on the CV so it can move around more easily under load it was more quiet .

I have read on other UK forums that it can be dry splines in the front axle.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    I have read on other UK forums that it can be dry splines in the front axle.
    That makes sense because when I changed mine the old ones were dry and rusty looking , when refitting new ones good lube was used . Plus the old ones were badly worn so close to stripping themselves out .T5 4motion grinding-shaft-jpg T5 4motion grinding-spline-jpg
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 11-05-2022 at 10:42 AM.