Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

Users Country Flag

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

After some loser smashed off one of my T5's mirrors, I got quoted a replacement from VW adding up to ~$700++: $275 for the new base + $200 for new mirror + $200 labour for install (it takes < 5 minutes all up ??) + new mirror cover and painting (if required) ranging from $50-150. Note the VW mirror design is also partly to blame for breaking because they swivel "up" and NOT front/back like a normal mirror. (I've hit the old T4 mirror lots of times on the garage door backing out, and it never broke off)

I thought it will be fun to fit the electric folding mirrors!

1. *** PARTS ***

A - The actual folding mirror assemblies:

7E2857508DG Driver's / right side assembly
    7E2857507DB Passenger / left side assembly

--> ETKA price is AU$190 each side but in reality it's more like $300 per side (?)

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-mirror_units_together-jpg

2. The glass inserts that just clip in - only needed if yours is smashed:
    7E1857522F Driver's side glass
    7E1857521M Passenger side glass

3. Optional OEM folding mirror switch
    I think the part number is 7E1959565 without a letter at the end - TBC. These are ~$70 from dealer or ~$20 from eBay/AliXpress

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-foldswitch-jpg T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-t5_part_switch-jpg

(Check it yourself on ETKA here or here .. click on CarProg2 for the latter link)

2. *** WIRING ***

There are 3 options:

1) OEM as per factory
    Now in the T5GP/T5.2 the OEM folding mirrors when factory optioned work off the window motors, which communicate over a LINBUS. HOWEVER you need the correct window motors, which my car unfortunately did not have. You can buy the correct window motors, but at $300+ cost it's not worth it to me.
    PROS: no wiring between the doors is required with this method as it's all over LIN bus.
    CONS: 1. cost 2. no automation - you have to flick the mirror switch everytime you want folding, and only with the key in.)

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-original-motor-jpg

2) OEM using separate VW mirror folding module
    In the original T5, but only those built between ~2003-2010, the folding mirror function used a special relay called the "AUDI 361 relay" with part number 4A0 907 440. This provided the same function, namely interfacing the door mirror knob to the folding mirrors, by powering the mirror motors for 3 sec when the switch was moved.
    PROS: Still all OEM parts. Cheaper (the relay is AU $30-50 online)
    CONS: Have to run wire across the car in between the two doors. Still not automated, have to flick switch each time.

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-361relay-jpg

3) Aftermarket mirror control module
    The OEM VW mirrors run off two wires, and inverting the polarity causes them to fold or unfold. There is no internal logic or auto-stop: once the mirror is fully open, the motor keeps on running and will burn out if not disconnected. Someone measured the mirror motor consumption as 0.8A while moving at 2A when stopped. There are many 'universal' aftermarket options starting under $15 on eBay/aliexpress.
    CONS: Aftermarket solution so less sex appeal.
    PROS: These have a function to link in to the door locks and automatically fold or unfold the mirrors eg when the door is locked or when ignition is turned on or off.
    NOTE: If you have auto-lock enabled, and want the 'fold on lock' feauture, this MIGHT cause your mirrors to fold while driving! (Depending on the setup/options in the unit) In any case you could wire a bypass relay running of the ignition to bypass the 'lock' wire while the ignition is running.

Examples of aftermarket units:

$12 from eBay:

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-afterm1-jpg

$150 delivered from Germany:

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-carmodule2-jpg

If anyone with ELSAWIN could please post a WIRING DIAGRAM of the door lock module (5 wires) and window motor module that would be a great help.

I'll keep this updated as I go along with the install......
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 05-06-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag
    Hi Yellow Lemmon,
    I would be quite keen to see how it all works out for you, I would like to add such a feature to my Multivan.
    I didn't realise how handy it would be to fold the mirrors, when parking or parked.

Stout

Users Country Flag
    I will also be watching this one closely as folding mirrors would be awesome

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK I've got all the parts in and tested it out "on the bench", the folding works great. After testing all the options I've decided to go with the $12 aftermarket mirror control module from eBay (Option #3 above) because it allows the easiest way to wire the "fold on lock" function.

I'm also adding mirror indicators and puddle lights at the same time (since I've got the door cards and mirrors off, might as well do it all at once). See forum post here. Got the mirror covers painted at a panel shop, all ready to go, now just waiting for some nice weather in Melbourne to install it all and take pics for all y'all

For reference:

The connector at the door lock module has 8 pins, like this:
    Pin 1: bl/ge
    Pin 2: li
    Pin 3: empty
    Pin 4: ge/bl
    Pin 5: gn/ge
    Pin 6: empty
    Pin 7: br
    Pin 8: sw

The two THICKER cables, LILA(purple) und BLAU/GELB(blue/yellow) go to the lock motor (and invert polarity for lock/unlock).

These wires travel to the BCM pins A 12 (and surrounding pins) - see T5.2 BCM pinout in the other thread.

The other wires: the BLACK goes to ground when door is closed, and the GREEN/YELLOW goes to ground when the lock is locked (I think that's what the diagram is saying??)

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-t5-2-wiring-lock-module-jpg

For reference here is the wiring diagram of the universal mirror folding module from eBay China:

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-mirror-module-wiring-diagram-jpg
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 25-06-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Folding mirror success

Hello again, we finally got a few days of good weather so I added the OEM folding mirrors.

See a video my folding mirrors on youtube.

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-mirrors_up-jpg

The $13 folding control module from eBay works fantastic:
    - Buttons on the door for folding and unfolding
    - Automatic folding on lock
    - Automatic unfolding on unlock (unless they were folded using the button - great design!)
    - Automatic unfolding on ignition (again unless they were folded using the button)
    - When ignition is on, then locking signal is ignored (mirror doesn't fold) - this is great for anti hijack locking

I added a Jaycar switch to the door panel. It looks OK I think:

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-img_0096-001-jpg

As you can see on the video the mirrors fold into a strange 'upwards' position that barely saves 5cm or so per side. My wife laughed at the ridiculousness of it. Also the glass is more exposed to rain and bird poo from the heavens. Not sure what happens to the rainwater that enters the mirror housing, presumably it frains out through the seams at the bottom.

Any questions?

NB: The original plan was to use the VW OEM mirror folding switch, part number 5K0 959 565, "Made in Italy". It looks like this:

T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-switch-5k0959565-jpg

But in retrospect I wouldn't have bothered! Firstly, it's not even the right switch. This one is for the tiguan, the correct one is mentioned above (7E1959565). Secondly, it took weeks and weeks to arrive, and finally when it arrived the switch I got was faulty: I couldn't rotate the dial to either heat or fold at the top 10 and 2 o'clock positions! I took the switch apart and saw there were two hard detents preventing this and the contacts weren't even present: essentially the switch had the mechanical portion of the original 3-position switch but with the cover of the folding 5-position switch. Looks like an assembly error at the factory. Totally weird! Anyway I decided the two-way rocker switch was a better option anyway because the OEM switch doesn't have an 'unfold' feature.

Note: I also added turn signal indicators and puddle lights to the mirror housings.
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 01-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Great job must have been a huge job getting the information and parts together , and like you sometimes the cheaper alternative can work better . I recently fitted an aftermarket auto headlight device to our 2012 T5 $60 odd bucks and 15 minutes and works perfectly . I never bothered to see how much it would have cost to go the VW route as from previous experience it is usually $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ overpriced .

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    aftermarket auto headlight device to our 2012 T5 $60 odd bucks and 15 minutes and works perfectly
    Good idea! A saw a few different ones of these on eBay/Aliexpress. Is there a particular unit you recommend?

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for posting YellowLemon.

Glad we could assist you with supplying the parts.

You certainly like your DIY's
    Genuine VW Parts Importer | Navigation | Bluetooth |
    Repairs | Lighting | Coding | Programming |Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by VW Central View Post
    Glad we could assist you with supplying the parts.
    Yes thank you it was the same price to get both electric folding mirrors through VWCentral than one side from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLemon View Post
    Good idea! A saw a few different ones of these on eBay/Aliexpress. Is there a particular unit you recommend?
    I have just ordered another one from this Ebay site as the original supplier here in Australia don't stock them any more same price same product though .Automatic Headlight Sensor Night Day Intelligent Light Sensing Auto Turn On Fog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast