Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

Users Country Flag

I haven't seen your post regarding trailer lights. This is my own idea to interface OEM folding switch with cheap Chinese universal aftermarket mirror folding control module. Two extra relays allow for that and also there is no draw/load on the vehicle battery when ignition is off and mirrors are left folded in manually.
    Also if you don't want to unfold on unlock you simply don't connect unlocking signal wire and mirrors unfold on ignition ON.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

It was my way of bypassing VW and their ridiculous price for a bunch of wires for a trailer connection $600 plus , I was going too buy some relays and use each trigger wire from the tailights to activate each relay . One for each indicator brake lights and tail lights etc . But I stumbled onto a place doing tow bars and they actually had a specific box $120 with relays inside and it was prewired for each light so the Canbus doesn,t see the load . Best part was I can run LED trailer lights without the factory system having a heart attack , and there was no need for the cost of coding the van at a dealers $$$$

Users Country Flag

Question

Hi, and thanks for the advice, although I remain very unexpert and hardly understanding what exactly needs to be done.
    So, here's a bunch of questions more...

1) Can I achieve the same results even without using relays, simply linking the control module to the proper wires? And what difference would it make, exactly: drawing power form the car battery, instead than from these relays?
    If so, how can the relays provide power in place of the battery? And also, relying on the battery with the motor tuned off is not healthy for the battery, as a general rule, or it's just to be avoided in case you're short on battery charge?

2) Could you please indicate me some kind of proper relay for the job (any code, required specification?)?

3) Would a scheme like that depicted right below be fundamentally correct? And will I need to replicate it on the second door, or I'll need to duplicate the wires going from the control module to the mirror motor, and pass them unto the other side door and mirrors?
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-door-panel-left-example-jpg

4) In order to link the control module to the ignition, do I need to reach to the central ECU, or it's just a matter of intercepting the right cable on the door panel, as for other cables?

5) I need to use some connector of the following (or alike) kind for joining separate wires, right?
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-rubacorrente-jpg
    And is it advisable to link the wires coming from the control module in a specific segment of the circuit, or it's indifferent. For instance: I had better catch the wires going to the external mirror as close as possible to the mirrors/motors, or maybe just before the connector at the end of the cable, or it's absolutely the uninfluential?
    That's the very elementary basis, I know... but I tried t warn you before!!! AH AH

And - what's worst - something more to ask will certainly arise in my troubled mind, sooner or later... In the meantime, I can only renew my gratefulness for any reply!
    Last edited by tortilio; 23-02-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    New Beetle 1.6 (MY2006)

Relays are pretty well much a way of not interfering with the vans Can Bus system , most wiring in these new cars are usually low voltage around 5V or there abouts .So any electrical motor would require 12V to work . When you use a relay it connects direct to a power source ie Battery , then there is an earth wire plus the up / down open / close wires or whatever is being driven . The last connection is from a source like a lock signal going into the door as it pulses [usually just a very quick pulse of power ] but remember it probably is only 5v or less but that is more than enough to trigger the relay which then transfers the 12v from the battery to the wires to the mirror or whatever needs the full 12 volts .

Users Country Flag
    So the relays work like a kind of minor ECU, relieving the central one from any duty. And they need to be directy linked, through cables, to the car battery.
    Would you suggest me any kind of relay suitable for the above usage with power mirrors?

On the opposite, are there concrete risks of messing anything up, linking directly to the ECU? Or it would require some later coding by VW in order for the electric mirror folding to work?
    And - one step before - does linking to the ignition mean linking to the ECU?

Also, isn't a 12V cable likely to be around the window motor?
    New Beetle 1.6 (MY2006)

Users Country Flag
    Back here after a while, and after getting the aftermarket control module, and having the chance to conduct some experimentation.

I managed to make it clear that the module is triggered by 12V impulses (I empirically tested it with lower voltage up to 5V, with no results), then sending electricity to the mirror folding motors for a time of 4 seconds.
    Anyway, I observed that 1 single second in enough to completely open/close the New Beetle mirrors, and I actually wonder whether these additional 3 seconds with the motors receiving voltage and staying under motionless strain might result in some harm to the motors themselves, or would allegedly prove innocuous.

Should it be the case of the sadder, first mentioned option, could anyone point me to some relay able to cut the current flow down to, let's say, 2 seconds (or any alternative solution in order to prevent any damage to the "precious" mirror motors)?

As usual, thanks in advance for any response
    New Beetle 1.6 (MY2006)

The problem with that module is that its been built to have a 12v trigger where as a normal relay may not need the 12V , most relays around 15 amp should be fine . Test one to be sure first . I doubt those extra 2 seconds will have any effect on the motors as most electric motors like window winders will have power for a few seconds after closing against the top or bottom anyway . Although most modern cars have built in thermal cut out in their electric motors or like VW windows when the battery is changed you lower the window to the bottom and then to the top and hold for a second or two and it resets the one touch up and down function . Oh and by the way I would not use those plastic colored connectors as they've a nasty habit of cutting some of the copper strands and also can get resistance between the connections leading to irregular operation .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123