Support VWWC

Thread: T5.2 headlight restoration from sandblasting or scratching

Users Country Flag

T5.2 headlight restoration from sandblasting or scratching

I had this great idea that I was going to restore my original headlights. They've got a reasonable amount of sandblasting although not bad yet. Was going to wet sand them starting from at least 800, through to 2000, then some cutting compound and polish with an orbital polisher.
    There's loads of generic youtube videos on how to do it. But I've just done a test on a spare AU falcon headlight I've got and I am not impressed with my first attempt. The sandblasting is gone but it's still very cloudy. I haven't done the cut and polish yet. This was more sandblasted, so I started with a 400 and 600 wet sand through to 2000.

But basically the T5 ones look better as they currently are, than my test result so far.
    I can't find any posts here about doing this with a T5. Nor anywhere else in the world that I can see.
    So I was wondering if anyone else has tried it?
    Maybe it's a big DON'T and I'm the last to find out about it?
    I've become a little nervous because it's one of those jobs where once I've started I'm committed.
    And I don't really want to pay $143 each for after marker replacements
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

I bought a kit that supplied the pastes and fine paper and did exactly the same as you. The result was hopeless, because even if you could get the surface as smooth as it was originally (which I doubt), the plastic itself has become yellowed and opaque so I was just a waste of energy.

Solution; I bought two new headlights the same as the originals and installed them for about $AU250, and now they are brilliant again.

did mine a while back.
    wet and dry sandpaper 180, then 600 then 1200, using plenty of water(keep sandpaper and area wet),then car polish.
    Came out pretty well.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the feedback.,..although I'm not sure I could get 2 views further apart
    I think I've decided to squib it...it doesn't look that bad any more...and I'd rather have the minimum $286 in my pocket.
    The new light bar resolves any country driving light issues anyway.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

I will back what Rebuild posted as I have done two different model cars with bad headlight lenses , a Holden Astra and my sons Mitshubishi Triton . Both came up real good after the job .

I think the problem with mine was that not only was the surface pitted which could probably be fixed, but the plastic was discoloured and not clear anymore. They were about 10 years old when replaced.

Users Country Flag

I use WD40 to wipe the yellow discoloration of and buff it dry then use the headligh restore kit. Like Rainex or Mothers which contains UV protection.
    It works on most plastic headlights.

The WD40 trick is very quick no hard rubbing at all, but it doesn't last you have to follow with polishing and use product which has UV protection properties.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk