Support VWWC

Thread: T5 2.5l diesel engine mount replacement

T5 2.5l diesel engine mount replacement

Hi all. I searched far and wide but did not find an answer. I had my car i for a water pump eplacement and at the same time the rear engine mount was replaced. The car now vibrates like a trcu, which it is not! It used to run smooth and quit. I discovered that the engine mustn't have been alligned to the mounts after the job was finished. Can anyone give me advice on how to balance the engine on particularily the driver side mount. It is way off center there. Also will have to replace the front mount since it looks cracked as can be. The mechanic who did the work is 90minutes drve away and ideally I'd like to avoid them in the future. Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Unsure why any engine mount was involved in a waterpump job, they are not in the way, it's just awkward being over the back of the engine. Sounds like this mechanic has undone the mounts, and with the broken front one has not put them back together properly. It's a god damn heavy engine, so unless you have a decent trolley jack, and a way to jack it up without destroying the alloy sump, then you can try and rebolt the four mounts. Alternately I'd find a better local mechanic, even a decent mobile one, and ask them to reset it for you. Perhaps in the job of the rear mount the guy has finally broken the front one, who knows, but if its had it that will be a major source of vibration. It's not a smooth motor to begin with from what I understand!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Unsure why any engine mount was involved in a waterpump job, they are not in the way, it's just awkward being over the back of the engine. Sounds like this mechanic has undone the mounts, and with the broken front one has not put them back together properly. It's a god damn heavy engine, so unless you have a decent trolley jack, and a way to jack it up without destroying the alloy sump, then you can try and rebolt the four mounts. Alternately I'd find a better local mechanic, even a decent mobile one, and ask them to reset it for you. Perhaps in the job of the rear mount the guy has finally broken the front one, who knows, but if its had it that will be a major source of vibration. It's not a smooth motor to begin with from what I understand!

Hi Greg.
    Thank you for your reply. I finally got to the bottom of the issue. The mechanic had installe dthe rear mount back to front. The fixing for the engine is offset,and by turnignthe mount he had moved it forward, then forced the bolt, and because there is a little flexibility forced the bolt in. That put all mounts under pressure and the fron on failed eventually. I have now replaced the front mount, relatively easy job, but am struggeling to replace/turn around the rear. Are there any tricks to create more space between the subframe and engine so I can squezze the mount out to turn it around? Any tips are welcome! Thanks

I think I'll get it out if I remove the power steering line and move it just a little out of the way. $30 or so $ for oil but that's cheap and uncomplicated considering all other solutions.?!?!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daddyrat View Post
    I think I'll get it out if I remove the power steering line and move it just a little out of the way. $30 or so $ for oil but that's cheap and uncomplicated considering all other solutions.?!?!
    Afraid I can't help, have not had the same situation, thus no experience to assist sorry!!

PS fluid is the dear stuff, more like $50 from memory.....check the t5 info thread, it's a special spec ( of course )

I do however salute you and wish you the best of luck on your mission into 2.5 T5 land. Few come back alive, including me.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.