Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 2.0 L biturbo FWD 132 KW Multivan overheating

Users Country Flag

T5 2.0 L biturbo FWD 132 KW Multivan overheating

Have an overheating issue on this van. Anyone have any experience with diagnosing overheating. We suspect partially blocked radiator . Inspected water pump-ok. Thermostat -ok. Drive it for 15 mins , it gets to 90oC is stable for a little while. Then it starts climbing to 130 , then if you reduce speed it comes back down to 90. Eventually it loses coolant via expansion chamber and check coolant light comes on. Check rad. cores with Temp probe ? Next step is to pull radiator out and inspect cores.No previous service history. No sign of leaking head gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I had a similar issue & it turned out that there was a split in the bottom tank of the radiator that only opened up when warm, though I wouldn't think that was the only possibility.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The mechanics are looking at it again on Monday. I see there is a kit to test for CO in the radiator fluid. This may tell us head gasket or not.

You should be thankfull VW put a temp gauge in your model because ours does not have one at all , my 2005 has one but not our 2011 model .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    You should be thankfull VW put a temp gauge in your model because ours does not have one at all , my 2005 has one but not our 2011 model .
    Yeah.............that was the big disappointment when I got my 212 model..............no gauge.
    You always drive frightened..............until the warning light comes on............and then you're REALLY frightened!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendo_VW_multivan_2010 View Post
    Have an overheating issue on this van. Anyone have any experience with diagnosing overheating. We suspect partially blocked radiator . Inspected water pump-ok. Thermostat -ok. Drive it for 15 mins , it gets to 90oC is stable for a little while. Then it starts climbing to 130 , then if you reduce speed it comes back down to 90. Eventually it loses coolant via expansion chamber and check coolant light comes on. Check rad. cores with Temp probe ? Next step is to pull radiator out and inspect cores.No previous service history. No sign of leaking head gasket.

How did you inspect the water pump? Did you remove the pump and check the impeller?

Is the radiator fan working? Are the radiator fins clean, not blocked with mud or grasshoppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    How did you inspect the water pump? Did you remove the pump and check the impeller?

Is the radiator fan working? Are the radiator fins clean, not blocked with mud or grasshoppers?
    Mechanic pulled apart pump and thermostat , said they were both ok. No bugs in radiator/ intercooler. Will let you know what they find this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post

Fans working , they ramp up and down depending on temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi Sendo, can’t help you with overheating issue sorry,but, are you aware of the oil consumption issue with some bitdi engines ? Regarding oil temp mine gets to 130 if I push it hard, normally runs at about 102-112, many owners on oil fb page have posted about adding a small oil cooler, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    Hi Sendo, can’t help you with overheating issue sorry,but, are you aware of the oil consumption issue with some bitdi engines ? Regarding oil temp mine gets to 130 if I push it hard, normally runs at about 102-112, many owners on oil fb page have posted about adding a small oil cooler, cheers
    Hi Kombi
    Thx for the info. Do you have a link to that FB page?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast