Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T5.1 Service - Fuel, Air and Cabin Filters

Users Country Flag

I reckon the verdict is still out regarding to clean or to replace air filters. I am a farmer and have blown air filters out with compressed air for years. Farm machinery usually gets engine oil and filter every 250 hours, a thousand hours a year could be compared to 50000km a year I would guess. Engine air filters and fuel filters gets replaced every thousand hours. Some farmers and contractors also believe not to clean filters but only to replace, but as I said I’ve been cleaning air filters for years without problems. Obviously farm machines often work in extremely dusty environments hence bigger and more expensive air cleaners, I replace engine air cleaner filter only every 50kkm, without any cleaning in between. I drain engine oil every 5kkm and oil filter every 10kkm, mainly because my remapped engine runs high oil temperatures.I do 99% of my driving on sealed roads and long distance in country Australia, I reckon maintenance should be determined not only by mileage but also driving conditions, the manufacturers service schedules would be based on averages.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    I reckon the verdict is still out regarding to clean or to replace air filters. I am a farmer and have blown air filters out with compressed air for years. Farm machinery usually gets engine oil and filter every 250 hours, a thousand hours a year could be compared to 50000km a year I would guess. Engine air filters and fuel filters gets replaced every thousand hours. Some farmers and contractors also believe not to clean filters but only to replace, but as I said I’ve been cleaning air filters for years without problems. Obviously farm machines often work in extremely dusty environments hence bigger and more expensive air cleaners, I replace engine air cleaner filter only every 50kkm, without any cleaning in between. I drain engine oil every 5kkm and oil filter every 10kkm, mainly because my remapped engine runs high oil temperatures.I do 99% of my driving on sealed roads and long distance in country Australia, I reckon maintenance should be determined not only by mileage but also driving conditions, the manufacturers service schedules would be based on averages.
    As long as you are carefully tapping or vacuuming or blowing the dirt off the filter surface and not pushing deeper in what can possibly be the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Perthdisco View Post
    As long as you are carefully tapping or vacuuming or blowing the dirt off the filter surface and not pushing deeper in what can possibly be the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Increasing the size of the pores in the filter, right up to tearing it. Polyurethane foam seal doesn’t have to seal reliably when you reinsert the filter. Of course you do what you want, ...however, it’s not the best practice, though it won’t kill your engine instantly. You just let in more dirt through the filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12