Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance

Cool Happily Pendle Performance Tuned

Hi all,

I recently had my much loved 2014 T5 Caravelle by Pendle Performance in Sydney and I'm more than happy with the remapped version of the engine that I have been punting around town and country.

After recently servicing it I decided to give Marcus a call and find out more after doing some reading about how there would be some performance gains. For my 340TDI it was going to jump from 340Nm to a more substantial 400Nm and from 110kW to 132kW both specifications similar to the dual turbo engine (which isn't available in the Caravelle).

They weren't mistaken. After leaving my Caravelle parked and the keys handed over to the warehouse next door the previous day I was thinking - what did I just do?

But my fears were unfounded as I got an sms from Marcus the next day saying all the changes had been done and I can meet him at the railway station.

As soon as I sat in the driver's seat to give Marcus a lift back he started explaining what had been done and as I listened and I drove, I could already tell the vehicle felt much more eager and in a way lighter on its wheels.

Dropped Marcus off and headed home across the bridge and what he said about the gears resisting the urge to drop down to go up hills was right on the money.

Overtaking is so smooth and it just pulls hard within the rev range. I love it!

He also strongly recommended that I use premium diesel which I have followed and that I do a regen as often as once a week.

I am not sure how your vehicle will respond but for me, it was a great return for the money. Give Marcus a call and hear him out.

Next up... still deciding on an improved suspension set up. Anyone with any recommendations? Just looking for something that will handle better and improve the ride for the passengers.

Thanks for reading.

Hi all,

Anyone else had their vehicle tuned recently? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Jerel; 20-03-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Next up... still deciding on an improved suspension set up. Anyone with any recommendations? Just looking for something that will handle better and improve the ride for the passengers.

Try a set of H&R 50mm lowering springs

H R Lowering Sports Springs 50mm VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

Still gives you some gutter clearance so you don't scrape too much

Improves the feel of the van without making the ride too stiff

Same goes for the rims - TSW 18 x 8 alloys

Big but not too big

T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance-vw5-1_bm-jpg

Does anyone know if Marcus is still doing the Pendle upgrades , I was talking to him last year and he was waiting for the lockdowns to finish before he made anymore bookings . We are in Qld and I think he was trying to get some jobs lined up but never heard back from him since then.

Thanks Snickerty! I booked in for a set of Koni Special Actives front and back. It won't be lowered but I was super tempted but there are too many speed bumps in my area but I like the look of yours! I was waiting for the shipment to get in because there were none in Australia(!) Got a call the other day, and installation (including bushes) is next week. Fingers crossed! But by all accounts it should tighten everything up.

Here's my ride with my 18s on ex-X5 rims.

T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance-vw-caravelle-blue-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
    He also strongly recommended that I use premium diesel which I have followed and that I do a regen as often as once a week.
    How do you find the availability of premium diesel? I suppose if you find a local place it's easy enough to just fill up there. Also, how do you run a manual regen?

That was always the question for me. In the olden days you turned the smoke screw for more power (and smoke) in your diesel, now all that extra power smoke is going into the DPF and I've heard stories about it clogging up far more quickly to the point where a lot of tunes (used to at least) remove it. Regens only get you so far and unless there is a better way to clean it you end up needing a replacement sooner... but the question is how much sooner?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    How do you find the availability of premium diesel? I suppose if you find a local place it's easy enough to just fill up there. Also, how do you run a manual regen?

That was always the question for me. In the olden days you turned the smoke screw for more power (and smoke) in your diesel, now all that extra power smoke is going into the DPF and I've heard stories about it clogging up far more quickly to the point where a lot of tunes (used to at least) remove it. Regens only get you so far and unless there is a better way to clean it you end up needing a replacement sooner... but the question is how much sooner?
    Premium diesel is available pretty much anywhere these days (well im not sure about the outback), but we did a big roadtrip around NSW last year and didnt have any issues getting BP Ultimate Diesel in any of the places we went (Lismore, Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange etc).

A manual regen can be run using various kinds of OBD software. Even my $50 Carista OBD device can do a forced regen at the press of a button.

If the 2x DPF's in my SQ5 fail I certainly wont be replacing them because the cost is absolutely ridiculous. I will fit a DPF delete pipe and have my stage 1 tune revised to code out the DPF's. But at this stage, no issues - and I use the VAGDPF app to keep an eye on my DPF behaviour and when it needs a regen I take it for a drive and let it do its thing.

If you are giving the car the beans, the DPF's will fill up more quickly due to the extra fuel/power being produced. But when driving normally, the engine is more economical with a stage 1 tune so the DPF's actually take a little longer to fill up before a regen is triggered.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A manual regen can be run using various kinds of OBD software. Even my $50 Carista OBD device can do a forced regen at the press of a button.
    I use the VAGDPF app to keep an eye on my DPF
    Interesting. OBD things are definitely getting cheaper and more accessible, but still not something the average person has (that said I suppose we aren't the average people are we ).

While I am an iPhone user at the moment, I do keep an Android in the drawer for all those Android only things (like the very excellent Torque Pro). I'll have to have a look at VAGPDF and see what it can do.
    (Links for the lazy )

Sadly I think I have misplaced my good Bluetooth OBD adaptor somewhere over the years (ironically the cheapest one I've had). I know I have a WiFi one that works with iPhone but Bluetooth was always that much better with the Android apps.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Interesting. OBD things are definitely getting cheaper and more accessible, but still not something the average person has (that said I suppose we aren't the average people are we ).

While I am an iPhone user at the moment, I do keep an Android in the drawer for all those Android only things
    Link here to some info on the VAGDPF app. Its a great little tool: VAG DPF app on Android to monitor DPF

Im also an iPhone user, but have bought a cheap $50 Android phone a few years ago to use with the Carista app. The Android system certainly has some better apps than the Apple platform. Ive tried Android but didnt like it, so ill stick with Apple.

If you have lost your OBD device, then definitely consider the Carista. Ive had it for about 3 years now and use it at least once a week for one thing or another. It connects everytime and just works. You can use it for VAGDPF and Torque Pro etc. Its $46 from AutoInstruct. If you want access to the Carista app, its free for a month and then its about $70 AUD per year. Well worth the cost in my opinion considering how handy it is.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Hi all! Loving the discussion that we've struck up. Regarding the availability of premium diesel, I'm in Sydney and it is readily available but I use the NSW Fuel App and set it to Premium Diesel as my preferred fuel and it shows me prices for all the premium diesel stations within NSW. Not sure where you are based but I would guess there are similar apps within your own state that offers the same information.

As for the manual DPF regen steps, I read online that the engine goes into active DPF regen mode under certain conditions. You need to have more than half a tank and you need to run the engine at around 1800-2500rpm when going at least 60 and you need to do this for 15mins. I'm not an expert by any means.

Here's a link I found that says something similar about it. The diesel particulate filter explained | AutoGuru

I was interested to read about the OBD route mentioned by Lucas_R so will check that out for sure. Thanks for the insight. Learn something new everyday 😀

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast