Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
    As for the manual DPF regen steps, I read online that the engine goes into active DPF regen mode under certain conditions. You need to have more than half a tank and you need to run the engine at around 1800-2500rpm when going at least 60 and you need to do this for 15mins. I'm not an expert by any means.
    This theory is correct but the car will only trigger a regen IF the DPF is at 100% capacity or very close to it. This is where the VAGDPF app is great because it shows you how full the DPF is. So there is no use trying to trigger a regen by knocking the transmission back a few gears and lifting the RPM's if the DPF is only 60% full because it will not initiate a regen in the vast majority of cases.

When I first got my SQ5 about 3 years ago I was under the impression that I could basically trigger a regen at any time if I raised the RPM while doing 80KPH+ and got some heat into the exhaust. This was completely incorrect and all I did was waste fuel and time doing this.

There are some prerequisites to triggering an active regen though, which are:

- fuel level above 1/4 tank (if below 1/4 tank or the fuel light is on it will not initiate a regen)
    - no check engine lights on dash
    - oil temp above 80+ degrees (not coolant temp) which is a good 15 mins of driving to get oil temp to this level.

The active regen will trigger once the VAGDPF app registers the DPF to be 101% full (which is usually about 21-22grams of soot) providing the above prerequisites are met. Once the regen starts, its about 15-20 mins from start to finish. The regen will continue if you stop at traffic lights or are stuck in traffic etc, but if you turn the engine off and interrupt the process you will hear the engine fans going like crazy, you can usually smell a weird smell from the exhaust and the heat coming off the exhaust it quite evident. IF you turn the engine off and hear the fans running and think to yourself "ill turn the car back on and drive for another 5 mins to let the regen complete" dont bother as its already cancelled the regen and the fans are just running to cool everything down.

The only time I have had a regen initiate before the app registers the DPF to be 101% full is when on the highway. In the few instances this has happened (we dont do too much highway driving) the DPF has been 90%+ full and obviously the cars ECU has been satisfied enough to initiate a passive regen.

DPF regeneration modes explained | Fleet Maintenance

These are what apply to my 2015 model SQ5. Newer vehicles may have even more prerequisites in place.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 09-06-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance-enginecodes-jpgStarted to get interested in running the VAG app on my 2007 Multivan, but can't find ana engine code for the 2.5 TDI corresponding to the 4 alpha codes quoted for the app. The internet suggests looking at the service manual, but there is nothing better than a 3 or 6 alpha code in the engine spec area.

Help!!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance-enginecodes-jpgStarted to get interested in running the VAG app on my 2007 Multivan, but can't find ana engine code for the 2.5 TDI corresponding to the 4 alpha codes quoted for the app. The internet suggests looking at the service manual, but there is nothing better than a 3 or 6 alpha code in the engine spec area.

Help!!!
    Your engine code is BPC.

My engine code (CGQB) was not listed as being supported by the VAGDPF app but when I connect to the app it knows the engine code, ECU data etc and connects without a problem.

If your car is a 2007 (looking at the dealer stamp on your photo) im sure it will work fine. You can download the free version of the app to try it before buying the full version ($5).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Lucas.

That was the conclusion I came to. Just spooked by the atypical engine code compared with those they list.

Thanks Lucas_R for the information. Will definitely look to do it.

Users Country Flag
    I checked with the supplier. The VAG app doesn't work with the 2.5 TDI motor, only the 4 bangers.

Users Country Flag

T5.1 Multivan Remmaped by PENDLE performance

Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    I checked with the supplier. The VAG app doesn't work with the 2.5 TDI motor, only the 4 bangers.
    Bugger - that's a shame. It does work on my 6 cylinder though. Strange that it wouldn't work on a 5 cylinder engine.

Another option (although not as good as the VAGDPF app) is the Carista app + OBD dongle which you can see how full your DPF is. In my case I know that if the soot level is about 20-21 grams that its very close to needing to do a regen.

Also, as the image below shows, you car manually trigger a regen if needed using the Carista app + OBD dongle.

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct

Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-06-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234