Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5.1 Multivan Radiator Cooling fan

T5.1 Multivan Radiator Cooling fan

Hello,
    I suspect the radiator fan on my Multivan is not running to full potential. On hot days and or in stop start traffic, the oil temperature reading climbs to approx 108oC, sometimes higher (the coolant temp remains at 90oC), however the radiator fan never seams to reach high speed, compared to other vehicles i have owned or driven. Has anyone had any issues with cooling fans or perhaps the fan modules, switching relays etc with these vehicles (4 Motion cfca 132kw variant).
    Mal

Users Country Flag
    I've only got the 103kW version and I can see the oil temps creep up to ~110C when driving at freeway speeds, with the AC on, on hot days. Especially when climbing over big rolling hills. It will come back down again when the load comes off. It seems that's just the way it is and I expect the twin turbo is a little worse for heat than the single version in mine.

If it's trying to do a DPF regen it will also bring the temps up, so it could be related to that??

In short, if you're getting those temps without a load, maybe something to look into, but in my experience as well as reading around the internet, these temps seem about normal under load (or DPF regen).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I have the 132kW bi turbo and I see high temps of 120 degs when fully loaded for camping. I am fitting a darkside developments oil cooler to lower these temps when loaded and driving on the motorway as it can't be doing the engine any good to have the oil temp this high which will lower the viscosity.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by scotinoz View Post
    I have the 132kW bi turbo and I see high temps of 120 degs when fully loaded for camping. I am fitting a darkside developments oil cooler to lower these temps when loaded and driving on the motorway as it can't be doing the engine any good to have the oil temp this high which will lower the viscosity.
    I have the same engine, on a My17 3.2 gvm T6 Campervan I’m close to gvm most of the time, I only see 120 degrees when I’m climbing mountains or hills.

I’ve also got a DS oil cooler sitting in the workshop that I haven’t gotten around to fitting, I’ll most likely use rivnuts in the frame to bolt it in, as they normally mount it on their aftermarket intercooler

it’ll be interesting to see how much cooler the oil is after fitment
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by scotinoz View Post
    I’ve also considered fitting an oil cooler, mine remapped 108-112 at legal speed, did you import cooler from UK ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    I’ve also considered fitting an oil cooler, mine remapped 108-112 at legal speed, did you import cooler from UK ?
    i can’t speak for Scott, but I imported mine from Darkside as well, fast shipping, packed quite well, looks like a quality product from having a look at it.

The reason I haven’t fitted mine yet as I’ve been deciding whether to sell the T6 and build a new camper on a MWB crafter

Yes imported from UK, $520 all in delivered as I also bought an additional 19 row cooler. Couldn’t decide what size to get so figured for extra $50 I’ll get a 13 and 19 row. Means I will have one cooler to spare. Probably fit the 13 and see what the results are first.

I plan to mount mine as per this photo

T5.1 Multivan Radiator Cooling fan-cooler-1-jpg

Users Country Flag
    that looks like a solid fitment, thanks for the pic

its not a hard job to remove the front bumper and grill, as i had to take it off when i fitted new lights last year.

should only have to remove the grill as the cooler sits on top of the intercooler and bolts onto the slam panel at the top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast