Thread: T5.1 Lower control arms and bushes

Question T5.1 Lower control arms and bushes

I had a Seikel lift kit put into my T5.1 yesterday (after about 6 years of cogitating). AOK, but the mechanic reported I have worn bushes in both lower control arms (and a damaged ball joint boot).

I've been looking at my options and think I'll go for complete (bushed) replacement$. Can anyone advise on how easy it is to replace a control arm with a new one? I have the splined tools needed. I'd intend to replace the ball joints at the same time. I'd just as soon do it myself - I've done similar jobs on a T3 and other vehicles in past years and the T5 looks easy enough to handle.

It LOOKS to me to not be a big issue, but I would appreciate comments on potential problems.

I know that after the job I'll need to repeat a wheel alignment.

I'd look forward to a response or two? Thanks folks.

transparu

And the Seikel kit lifted the van 40mm in front and 50mm behind, though I expect these will settle a bit.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

I did the upper and lower bushes in my T5 some years back , I was lucky a former sponsor of this forum allowed me to use his hydraulic press to remove the old ones and press in the new ones . Removing them was not too hard as I had them out and new bushes fitted in the same day and I am not a mechanic . You could hire one or find a friendly mechanic who would let you use his .

Thanks Sunny. I greatly appreciate the reply and am encouraged. I have a friend with a press whom I'm pretty sure will be generous.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Users Country Flag
    Can confirm not buying the entire new control arm like VW will suggest. Buy the bushes and get a mechanic to press them in.

Thanks twistit. Actually borrowed a friend's press and the bushes eventually arrived but got caught up with my son's Nissan for weeks. Maybe next week I'll venture under the front corners of my T5.1.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk