My friend came around on the weekend with his van , he had found some fluid spots on his drive and garage floor . During the last couple of days the drips had turned to a dribble that was quite noticeable when the ending was running , I had a quick look and went straight for the filter for the DSG as it was very wet with fluid around the base of the filter mount . Turns out the actual filter was very loose as it was able to be tightened by a third of a turn with just my finger tips , I used and extension bar with socket to just nip it up a tiny amount to not damage the seal etc . I suggested he contact the VW dealer who did a DSG service about 6 months ago to see if they had replaced the filter during the service , they said no as it was not a servicable item [ My opinion that's a load of Bollocks ]

Anyway they told him not to drive it and have it towed to them for check . After a few hours they rang and told him it would cost around $1150 as they claim its the transmission cooler that has failed and it can't be repaired . Anyone have a suggestion if that sounds kosher or not , what I can,t understand is how in the hell did the filter get so loose considering it was serviced by them just under 6 months ago , I sort of wonder if one of the mechanics started to remove the filter and then decided it was not part of the service and forgot to retighten it properly . Call me suspicious but after the catastrophic failure of our T5,s Tiptronic box at the same dealers many years ago where they did not bother to change the filter I wonder about their procedures .

What I did find interesting is that VW finally after ignoring our climate that they have actually fitted tranny coolers to these DSG boxes , because they sure as hell did not fit one to the Tiptronic and the fluid would burn black during its sealed for life term . Thanks in advance for any info , sadly my mate isn,t a member here so I am helping him .