Support VWWC

Thread: T5.1 Air conditioner woe

T5.1 Air conditioner woe

G'day folks,
    The A/C on my 2012 T5.1 failed (suddenly). VW diagnosis is that the clutch (or compressor) is the issue. The clutch is NOT spinning with the engine running. It LOOKS like it is probably the clutch at fault. The compressor is the same as in the Amarok and I'm led to believe it HAS been something of an issue.

My advice from VW (!!) was to not spend $2.5K on a genuine part but go for an aftermarket compressor.

I would appreciate helpful answers to the following please, and any other comments.

Can the clutch be replaced without removing the compressor? I think the answer to this is "yes, but it's quite difficult". (Maybe I'm getting to old for this sort of thing anyway.)
    Has anyone replaced the clutch here in Australia? I'd appreciate any comments re sources for a clutch and for a compressor and costs. There are a few brands advertised on eBay and on Aliexpress. Has anyone had any experience please?

What about recommendations for A/C folk in Brisbane?

Summer is very close here in Queensland so the issue is of some priority to me!

Thanks folks.
    (My wife's Camry is twice as old as the VW with almost twice as many KM on the clock and its A/C has never presented an issue!)

transparu

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Users Country Flag
    Brisbane's Leading Car Air Conditioning Experts | Mr Cool at Milton

I'm surprised to hear it has a clutch the modern way is a variable displacement compressor.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Well, that was the VW advice.
    Bought a new compressor today.
    Thanks for the reply.