Thread: The T5 07 Multivan Highline, numerous issues.

Users Country Flag

Question The T5 07 Multivan Highline, numerous issues.

The T5 Multivan Highline has numerous issues that I suspect are related. The diesel emissions are entering the cabin prior to and when the engine runs rough, the right-hand lower manifold stud is broken, the glow plug light comes on intermittently which results in limp power mode, the EGR isn't cracked, the EMS system isn't reporting faults, the turbo oil seal is leaking but not surprising after 300,000k, the fuel gauge varies widely at times but most noticeably below 200 km distance remaining but within seconds can vary down to 10 km, the electric slide doors intermittently don't open or close fully, the central locking intermittently works, the left slide door window does leak because the close mechanism is missing bits so water maybe leaking causing variable circuit issues, a mobility hoist was installed some years ago and this maybe an introduced electrical fault with an earth point maybe corroded/loose.

I would start by repairing the leaking exhaust manifold, then use a bottle of diesel injector cleaner to unclog all the injectors. I have a 2006, and I need to use 1 bottle of injector cleaner per year in three lots to keep the engine running smoothly.

Then start on the minor issues.

early models had probs with cracked exhaust manifolds, leaking fumes into cabin.There are cast iron and steel manifolds over the years. I think the steel manifolds were problematic. Google. Lots of good info on

T5 Chat - The Brick-yard - Page 1

The forum itself is pretty much dead, but mucho info is still there. Search> make sure you click Advanced>search from ANY DATE, otherwise you only get default from last six months

If you find useful stuff, make sure to save it, as i have, as i am sure the site will disappear from the intertron eventually, with its current lack of traffic

central locking probs - do you have two key fobs? does it do it with both?
    You can remove the fob battery and soak the fob in metho to clean the contacts. Done this with one of mine when it went intermittent.

If its individual door probs - Both my front doors got stuck in lock position. Just the lock mech needed lubing and all good.
    How to remove Door Lock and Assembly Carrier - The Brick-yard

There is also a wire under the drivers seat, near the Convenience Unit, under the floor covering that has a soldered connection that corrodes, sometimes giving intermittent locking probs. Think it provides power to the convenience unit.
    Resoldering fixes it.
    Heres one, just search central locking
    Central Locking / Convenience Unit - The Brick-yard

Actually, mines a panelvan, check where your Conv unit is first. Might be different for a Multi

Check your 12V at the Conv unit, while jiggling any wires?
    Last edited by Rebuild; 09-05-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

As rebuild said door lock problems can be the connectors under the drivers seat , if you slide it right forwards there is a block of connectors and if you unplug them you may find corrosion . We could have grown plants on ours it was so green !Manifold as stated probably cracked and needs rewelding .

Users Country Flag
    Take it to Volkshome.
    They wont charge you to identify the issue/s.

I had exhaust smell leaking into the cabin and it was the gasket on the triangular shaped join joining the turbo to the EGR.
    They replaced that and the manifold gasket as it was deformed.
    It cost $1500, mainly due to man hours (~$1250).
    Last edited by blaast; 10-05-2022 at 10:33 PM.

OP, any updates on this, or even a "it was all fixed for just $20"
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI