Thread: T4 Syncro Shock Absorber Recommendations

T4 Syncro Shock Absorber Recommendations

My current shock absorbers need replacing and I was wanting recommendations for a good quality replacement that'll cope with extended driving on gravel roads/tracks eg Oodnadatta track. I've been looking at Sachs HD which are twin tube oil filled dampers, or would gas filled Bilsteins be better or any other recommendations. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't go past a Pedders for any sort of shock absorber be it struts or regular. Apart from damper quality Pedders have a good network to fall back on and, if the unlikely happens and the shock absorber fails Pedders cover the replacement and labour costs involved. Other manufacturers/distributors generally want the shock sent to them for evaluation and they mostly won't pay the labour costs. Cheers-John

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutleee View Post
    My current shock absorbers need replacing and I was wanting recommendations for a good quality replacement that'll cope with extended driving on gravel roads/tracks eg Oodnadatta track. I've been looking at Sachs HD which are twin tube oil filled dampers, or would gas filled Bilsteins be better or any other recommendations. Cheers
    I had the Sachs HD fitted as OE on our dual cab. We lived in Bourke, NSW at the time and also did a three month trip around southern WA in the first months of its life. The front shocks lasted less than two years before we started pogoing down the Louth Road while the rears struggled on until early 2005 (after the second WA trip, up north this time). The replacements were Koni...they are still under there today after roughly 250,000 km of all sorts of mistreatment on country roads across the country and they are still functional. So that's my recommendation...

Thanks Seano. Sounds like a good recommendation for Koni. Can I ask where you managed to source them? I've had a search on google and can't seem to find anywhere. Cheers.

Definately Bilsteins!

I've used them on many vehicles and have them (Bilstein B4 I think) on our T4LWB. The ONLY exception to Bilstein would be Koni Yellow. Monroe, Peddars, Boge etc are OK on a lightweight car for a short time then turn to mush.

We fitted Bilstein B4s to our T4 before a trip to Lake Eyre a few years ago & they are still tight now. They do a lot of work on a heavy van like these. For interest, I stopped after a particularly rough part of the Oodnadatta track & felt the front shocks. They were hot, not hot enough to burn my hand but hot.

I have bought Bilsteins from USA cheaper than local source but this will depend on the exchange rate at the time. Australia seems to get a bad deal on their pricing.

Regards,

FarmSyncro

with the dust and flies in western Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Mutleee View Post
    Thanks Seano. Sounds like a good recommendation for Koni. Can I ask where you managed to source them? I've had a search on google and can't seem to find anywhere. Cheers.
    I recall they came direct from the local distributor at the time...not sure who that is these days.

Edit: current distribution into Oz is done by Toperformance in Melbourne and they have agents in most capitals
    Distributors – KONI Australia – Toperformance Products

If you can't source them then the Bilsteins are an option though I've personally found them too hard in the vehicles I have used them in in the past...
    Last edited by Seano; 26-10-2020 at 08:10 PM.