Thread: T4 2003 auto - Transmission known issue??

Users Country Flag

Question T4 2003 auto - Transmission known issue??

Hey guys!

I've happily (or not?) just bought a t4 2003 at 90k km.

The van test went well, check for rust and everything seems pretty neat. The van is running smoothly with no weird noise whatsoever.

I know that the timing belt has to be changed around 105k.

Anyway, here is my concern:

TRASNPORTER T4 2003 auto petrol TYPE-70A

I was going through some post on Facebook Australian van page, someone asking if a T4 auto was worth buying, and few comments said to avoid auto because transmission are known to blow on this model and it cost about $6k to replace !!
    I've been a bit stunned by the news, as new owner of my first van :'(

I would like then to know if anyone knows a bit more about this issue?

At what Mileage it usually occures?

What are the best tips to avoid/delay it?

What are the hints that the transmission in not in a good shape?

Thanks guys, really trying to know my new travel companion here and take care of it!

We owned two T4,s one was an auto brand new in 2000 , we kept it up until the T5 was released . Never had any issues even after 160000 kays . I was told at the time that if the tranny went belly up at the time it was a12K replacement cost by dealers . I won,t bore you with the dramas we had with the T5 auto which did go belly up after only 110000 kays . I would suggest just drive the T4 normally and see if there is any sort of strange changing functions also stick your boot into it as well to see if there is any unusual changing patterns . From memory that model auto was adaptive and I used to find after my wife drove it it would change in a gentle manner and was slow on take off with gear changes , I would get in and give it a bootful off the mark until it changed to my driving style .

Quote Originally Posted by bkseen View Post
    What are the best tips to avoid/delay it?
    Was there any service records when you bought the van? If not, can you speak to the previous owner to see if the trans. has ever been serviced. If not then it is well & truly overdue. The oil should always be genuine VW to avoid issues but if previously another oil has been used this will be a problem. The oil capacity is around 5.3 liters but when the oil is drained only around 3.7liters will drain with the remainder in the TQ. Some drain what they can & then do a second oil change soon after.
    The sump plate should be removed, strainer/filter replaced, magnet cleaned followed by a new rubber gasket around the sump.
    When I owned mine, I treated it gently & only ever towed a 6x4 trailer.`
    Here's a link to how it's done. Eurovan [USA] is the same as a T4. Rialta is a conversion.
    http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/vw_imag...ovan%20ATF.pdf
    Last edited by jets; 02-10-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey guys! Thanks for the answers !!
    When I tried it, I push it on the accelerator and not any issue. I went away this weekend, did about 1000k and nothing seems to be a worry, it runs great!

@jets
    there is a garage sticker on the windscreen for service that has to be done in about 2000 km.
    Is it usual for garage to the Transmission service during a routine? If not I think I will do it, with the timing belt, in these 2000km and ask them to put only genuine VW oil. I will pass on all the advices to the garage, see what they quote as I am pretty bad manually (IT guy here )

Quote Originally Posted by bkseen View Post
    Is it usual for garage to the Transmission service during a routine? If not I think I will do it, with the timing belt, in these 2000km and ask them to put only genuine VW oil. I will pass on all the advices to the garage,
    It would not be normal for a garage to change the trans. oil at a service, in fact at the time of T4s, it was claimed to be sealed for life. This turned out to be rubbish & cost many owners a lot of money. I would strongly recommend you to choose someone who is familiar with your T4 for both jobs. Ask on this forum for recommended garage or mobile mechanic in your area.. Also ask for a new water pump at the same time as your belt change.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers @Jets

I've asked a quote for all of that, $$$$ bills starts to add up..

I tried to contact "Steve" or "Steven", the T4 expert in Manly but unfortunately, at the moment no answer. Maybe his phone number on the forum is not up to date anymore, or he is not in business anymore.
    Does anyone knows him?

I will create a post at the end of the week if I can't get in contact with him

In short: The Auto is not reliable, service it regularly and pray. When it goes (and it will) the best option is a manual conversion, push in and drive out price used to be around the $5k mark. Don't bother with a 2nd hand auto box, it's not worth it.