Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting issue

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by big dave View Post
    Thanks guys
    It seems there is more to this story,
    Alternator belt has split and bits are missing, atm presumed to be sucked into timing cover! So now it needs to go to the dealer to be taken apart to find out and to see if the motor is cactus. I would of thought that a dodgy belt should of been picked up at the 3rd service 2 months ago.
    Now I wish I had got an extended warranty!
    Saw this happen before on a 1.6CR Golf motor, which is very similar. Car was in a stack, and when they started it to move it, the damaged air compressor pulley fed the belt into the timing belt, causing it to jump and bend some valves.

All the best with it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Vw should still cover it if just out of warranty??
    Worth a try especially as they serviced it ???

It will be going to the dealer on Tuesday. Once they actually diagnose the problem we can enter into talks with vw if need be
    I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Saw this happen before on a 1.6CR Golf motor, which is very similar. Car was in a stack, and when they started it to move it, the damaged air compressor pulley fed the belt into the timing belt, causing it to jump and bend some valves.

All the best with it.
    Cheers mate
    Let's hope it's not that bad or vw come to the party if it is.
    If it is and they don't the split will be looking for a new owner!

Any news Big Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Any news Big Boy
    Shane is pulling it apart now as at the very least we have bent valves!

Users Country Flag
    VW knows this is a problem and your service centre should of informed you a modified cover is available and needed to be fitted at the last service. The way I see this the fault lies with both the dealer and VW,call vw customer service and ask for a case number ....BUT MOST OF ALL YOU MUST STATE THIS VAN IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE you should have been informed of known issues through TPI's and given the option to retro fit the improved item.....I know of many engines that have been covered with VW at no cost to the customer.DO NOT GO IN AND ADMIT LIABILITY....be prepared to fight by sighting the well documented issue world wide surrounding the timing belt failure. If this is a factory dealer who serviced you 2 months ago they should know better.....feel free to call me on 02 96792900

Users Country Flag
    Valves are not the only issue as the camshaft itself twists, new cylinder head may be required......just ask upon disassembly if the engine needed to be rotated to allow access to cylinder head bolts....if so cams are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by volksMuller View Post
    VW knows this is a problem and your service centre should of informed you a modified cover is available and needed to be fitted at the last service. The way I see this the fault lies with both the dealer and VW,call vw customer service and ask for a case number ....BUT MOST OF ALL YOU MUST STATE THIS VAN IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE you should have been informed of known issues through TPI's and given the option to retro fit the improved item.....I know of many engines that have been covered with VW at no cost to the customer.DO NOT GO IN AND ADMIT LIABILITY....be prepared to fight by sighting the well documented issue world wide surrounding the timing belt failure. If this is a factory dealer who serviced you 2 months ago they should know better.....feel free to call me on 02 96792900
    Well that is very interesting. Cheers for the heads up, I am not about to let this go and I will be taking it further

Cheers
    Dave

I might have just had the same belt snap on my 2011 T5 Multivan? Got a pic in my thread next to yours about power steering, not sure about engine damage as I was driving, belt snapped and I lost power steering, engine was still running but I pulled over and turned it off. Getting it looked at on Monday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast