Thread: Spikes T4 single cab

Users Country Flag

Spikes T4 single cab

Hey all, I'm another one from the mk2/Air cooled side. Just picked up my first vw van. A 98 t4 single cab. It seems fairly solid but does have a few issues.

The major one atm is the immobiliser, I have a new ignition switch in the post, turns out the old one still works. Possibly need a new ignition barrel as well.
    The car will start and cut out soon after, using the original key. I'm leaning toward an immobiliser bypass.
    Spikes T4 single cab-img_20220815_083439-jpg

Ok if the car starts and then cuts out I suspect it will be the engine control relay , I had that with my T4 many years ago . It would cut out without warning and when I tried to get VW to sort it out they told me until it actually stopped in their workshop they couldn't,t help . while I was in there a spare parts bloke overheard me telling the service guys the van was going to get me killed if it stopped in the middle of an intersection , he came over and told me there was this relay now I,m not 100% sure but I think its number 30 . Twenty five bucks later I had the new relay in place and it never cut out ever again , its a common fault which surprised me that the service guys didn,t know that .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you Sunny, I'll make sure I check/replace that too. There a bit more to clean up/fix up before it goes for a roady worthy.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi everybody, a small update on the ute. I picked up a parts van with a good motor and bad box, so I'm in amongst an engine swap(my first water-cooled swap).

Both motors are out, and I've split the good box, I think everything is going smoothly... So far.
    I'm also swapping out the gauge cluster for the upgraded blue gauges.
    Would anyone have the wiring conversion diagram for the upgrade? Or is it easier to pull the whole loom while I'm here?
    Any help/advice/critisms are welcome... I'm sure there's things I'm overlooking. Also if anyone needs bits, this blue van is being wrecked. Spikes T4 single cab-img_20221107_080835-jpg