Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software update

Users Country Flag

Software update

Hi there
    I have 2016 mulitivan.
    Looking for procedure for software update on infotainment system.
    Can anyone help out?
    Would really appreciate it.
    Kendall

Users Country Flag
    Well if you want an intelligent answer perhaps you could tell us which entertainment unit you have.

If you mean firmware normally a dealer would do it but only if the unit has problems.

If you mean maps go to the VW portal and download them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yep I meant firmware.
    Thanks for your help. I apolgise for the ignorance but Im a new owner and I use this forum for help!

Users Country Flag
    Thats Ok what unit have you got it in the vehicle as some of the old RNS 510 still have firmware floating around

I might ask roughly what does updated software for the VW GPS cost .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I might ask roughly what does updated software for the VW GPS cost .
    There is , AFAIK only only the FIRMWARE for RNS510 units as in the tech forum on here that has been there for several years, As that unit is now redundant further work has not been done on it.
    For newer units it seems there are no published firmwares available. Maybe some overseas forums may have some but havent seen any on the forums I haunt.
    As the Op hasnt said what unit they have is rather hard to give an answer.
    For later units its usually a dealer job and only if unit is having problems, it seems.

in Europe there seems to b some OTA upgrades but as we dont have that we cant get them.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flanderosa2 View Post
    Hi there
    I have 2016 mulitivan.
    Looking for procedure for software update on infotainment system.
    Can anyone help out?
    Would really appreciate it.
    Kendall
    2016 could be either an rns510/rcd510 or an mib2 pq depending when it was produced.
    Need either a pic of the unit or your vin to look it up, or info from a suitable diagnostics tool like vcds, obd11 etc

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

I was only asking out of interest , from what I,ve seen on various forums the cost to update GPS mapping etc can run into several hundreds of dollars and sometimes it seems some new VW,s sold with factory installed GPS can be several years or more out of date . I have found its cheaper to just but a new unit and replace the original and get ten times more functions for around tenth of the price of comparable factory ones . In fact I replace mine every couple of years because I can then get the latest Android operating system and the up to date GPS maps for less than what VW charges just for a map update and no bloody coding required !! This the one I got just on 18 months ago and its been faultless , ok the down side ? it doesnt play DVD CD/s I only stream music from my phone or I load music /music videos onto a USB stick and it plugs into one of the two USB cables supplied . What I do like is it has inbuilt engine monitoring with out needing a OBD reader device it works from the cars can bus . So if I run low on fuel and the fuel light comes on in the instrument cluster the whole screen suddenly shows all the engine systems and there is battery level water fuel RPM Speed and other items right there easy to see . 9inch 2din Android Car Radio With Carplay Android Autoradio Stereo Multimedia Gps Player For Vw/seat/skoda/passat/golf/polo - Buy Car Radio Android Autoradio,9inch 2din Android Car Radio,Car Radio With Carplay Android Autoradio Product on Alibaba.com

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I was only asking out of interest , from what I,ve seen on various forums the cost to update GPS mapping etc can run into several hundreds of dollars and sometimes it seems some new VW,s sold with factory installed GPS can be several years or more out of date . I have found its cheaper to just but a new unit and replace the original and get ten times more functions for around tenth of the price of comparable factory ones . In fact I replace mine every couple of years because I can then get the latest Android operating system and the up to date GPS maps for less than what VW charges just for a map update and no bloody coding required !! This the one I got just on 18 months ago and its been faultless , ok the down side ? it doesnt play DVD CD/s I only stream music from my phone or I load music /music videos onto a USB stick and it plugs into one of the two USB cables supplied . What I do like is it has inbuilt engine monitoring with out needing a OBD reader device it works from the cars can bus . So if I run low on fuel and the fuel light comes on in the instrument cluster the whole screen suddenly shows all the engine systems and there is battery level water fuel RPM Speed and other items right there easy to see . 9inch 2din Android Car Radio With Carplay Android Autoradio Stereo Multimedia Gps Player For Vw/seat/skoda/passat/golf/polo - Buy Car Radio Android Autoradio,9inch 2din Android Car Radio,Car Radio With Carplay Android Autoradio Product on Alibaba.com

Well I can safely say I havent ever paid for a map update since owning my first VW in 2010. Up until V6 for the RNS 510 they were plentiful on the internet and the salesman I bought from would give me a lend of the showroom disc to do it for later versions
    Now with an MIB 2.5 in the Tig and an MIB3 in the Kamiq the maps are free from either the VW or Skoda portals. All maps even Google are behind with road upgrades as they have to get the changes and recode them for each unit so cant be instant.

Well obviously things have changed for the better then as some years ago VW would charge ridiculous amounts not only for a head unit with both Bluetooth and GPS then add map upgrades as well . I remember some years back where Toureg owner was complaining that his very expensive SUV had mapping at point of new sale with half of Brisbane,s Tunnel network not shown but those tunnels had been open and operating for years before .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast