Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Fitted my UHF to the overhead compartment in the roof lining and mounted the aerial to a 90º adjustable angle bracket to the roof rack.
    While the head lining was out I sound deadened the cabin roof then added Sound Batts insulation right the way through the van under the roof lining. So much quieter in there now.
    Also installed the 'sounds like a golf' door rubbers, and yes, it sounds like a golf when you shut the doors now. All thud, no twang!
    Got the rear Haldex coupling to service as well. Have the fluid and am ordering a new filter kit to get it done as per this link with VAGCOM VCDS.

Next up is waiting for lock down to end and off to get some under body protection sorted. Boo's Bash Plates here in VIC will make what I need as there's no off the shelf option that I've found here in Aus.

After that it is new front struts and one top mount as the bearing is shot after an altercation with a gutter at speed a few months back. While I'm there I'll be doing the front lower control arm bushes to, as they're flogged out and loose as a goose.

Also considering getting some custom spacers made to get some more lift, maybe in the range of another 30mm.

Update 23/10/20

Recent jobs completed as per above post was the UHF install with photos below.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4078_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4081_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4080_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    Still unsure about the aerial fold down bracket and fitment location so it may change.

Next up was install upgraded Raised KVRR-18HD King Springs in the rear to compensate for added weight of the sound deadening and refit of the cabinetry.
    I basically regained what I lost in height by adding the extra weight with the HD springs fitted, which is nice and will go well with the new 265/65R17 tyres I am getting fitted next week.

Here is a photo of the 3 different types of rear springs. The black one is standard VW fitment, the middle one is Raised King Springs KVRR-18 and on the left is the King Springs Raised KVRR-18HD (300-500kg constant payload).
    As you can see they are all exactly the same physical height the only difference is the diameter of the spring steel therefore you can run them with a standard length shock.
    Dimensions for them as follows:
    Standard: 20.8mm
    Kings KVRR-18: 22.4mm
    Kings KVRR-18HD: 23.4mm

Actual lift is in the 35-40mm range on the rear with out any weight in the van. Loaded it is 15-20mm as my van now weighs it at nearly 2900kgs. The van now takes off with little to no squat in the rear and obviously rides higher too.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4014_heic-2246x1440-jpg

Next on the list is a set of Black Duck front seat covers. I've wanted these for years and left it way to late to save the drivers seat but alas they are on now and I think they look great.
    I opted for their newer 4Elements version in Black over the older canvas style due to them being waterproof, removable and machine washable should the need arise.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4074_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4076_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4075_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4077_heic-2246x1440-jpg

Another job ticked off the list was changing out the front lower control arm bushes for a set of SuperPro Poly bushes with offset castor adjust for the rear set to get a better wheel alignment done as the van has always pulled left on the highway.
    Even without a wheel alignment the van drives much better in a straight line and the steering response is much, much quicker.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4062_heic-2246x1440-jpg

While doing the control arm bushes I also replaced the left front strut top bearing as I hit a gutter at reasonable pace unexpectedly and it pretty much destroyed the bearing.

I have also got a Bowden's Own Bumper Repair kit to bring the old faded grey sun damaged ones back to life. Just waiting for a day where the weather is good for 24 hrs as you can't get them wet for 12hrs once it's done
    Visually, with the new bigger tyres, I think it's going to dramatically change the look of the van, which I can't wait.

Users Country Flag
    I used the Bowden's Own Mr Black on my bumpers, and the results were really good. Although it hasn't been long enough to tell how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by wintrmute View Post
    I used the Bowden's Own Mr Black on my bumpers, and the results were really good. Although it hasn't been long enough to tell how long it lasts.
    I saw it on the Transporter/Caddy FB group so thought I'd give it a try. Good to hear first hand experience. Cheers

Keen to see how the bumpers turn out and the new tyre look

Users Country Flag
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_20200924_183002-jpg
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread - but this was the result of Mr Black on my rear bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by wintrmute View Post
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread - but this was the result of Mr Black on my rear bumper.
    This is great mate, exact picture I saw on Facebook.

Users Country Flag
    haha oh no, worlds colliding!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtwem View Post
    Keen to see how the bumpers turn out and the new tyre look
    Here you go mate. One sneaky one for now and will grab some new photos after the next camping trip this coming weekend.

Also got some 25mm spring spacers coming to get just that little bit more lift, you know cos bigger is always better haha.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4166_heic-2246x1440-jpg

Nice looks good! how was the application onto the bumper ? pretty straight forward? did you need to tape up anything?
    Cheers

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast