Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mtwem View Post
    Nice looks good! how was the application onto the bumper ? pretty straight forward? did you need to tape up anything?
    Cheers
    Cheers mate. Application is super easy using the supplied applicator sponge. I did tape up around the lights and where the bumper meets the body panels just for ease of use. You could do it without, if you were careful.

Epic - got any other photos? tossing up whether to apply to mine when i get some ATs on there - quite a faded grey now

Quote Originally Posted by Mtwem View Post
    Epic - got any other photos? tossing up whether to apply to mine when i get some ATs on there - quite a faded grey now
    Here you go mate.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4164_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4162_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4163_heic-2246x1440-jpg

G'day Markee - this is a cracking thread. Appreciate the effort you've put in to continually documenting it.

I wonder if you could please give me a measurement to orientate where you located the second row seat to allow for the queen bed length (i.e. mm from a fixed point).

I'm having a techsafe triple bench installed and am keen to get it in the right spot to ensure I have at least a double bed length doesn'ta nd any more length I can get that doesn't compromise second row legroom too much.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by maccada View Post
    G'day Markee - this is a cracking thread. Appreciate the effort you've put in to continually documenting it.

I wonder if you could please give me a measurement to orientate where you located the second row seat to allow for the queen bed length (i.e. mm from a fixed point).

I'm having a techsafe triple bench installed and am keen to get it in the right spot to ensure I have at least a double bed length doesn'ta nd any more length I can get that doesn't compromise second row legroom too much.

Cheers
    Hi Mate,

Cheers. The documenting was as much for me as it is for everyone else.

Measurement as requested:

From rear of front bench seat to middle of rear seat forward mount point - 560mm

Thanks Markee - installer has advised there isn't much wriggle room around fuel tank so install is behind 1st and 2nd cross rail under the floor where a 40mm-ish gap is between the floor and tank - also where the strength is, (double seam at floor and lip of chassis rail). Also noted when folded there that the seat tucks up tight against the front seats.

Seems logical to me.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    Update 23/10/20

Next up was install upgraded Raised KVRR-18HD King Springs in the rear to compensate for added weight of the sound deadening and refit of the cabinetry.

I basically regained what I lost in height by adding the extra weight with the HD springs fitted, which is nice and will go well with the new 265/65R17 tyres I am getting fitted next week.

Actual lift is in the 35-40mm range on the rear with out any weight in the van. Loaded it is 15-20mm as my van now weighs it at nearly 2900kgs. The van now takes off with little to no squat in the rear and obviously rides higher too.
    Visually, with the new bigger tyres, I think it's going to dramatically change the look of the van, which I can't wait.
    Cracking job on the Van mate! Seriously. Did you get the 265/65/R17 tyres on? Did they fit or rub?

Jealous of the tyre lift you can get away with there. In Palachook country we are only rated to 50mm lift total by either tyres or suspension or a combination but tyres themselves can only go 50mm larger diameter so I'm close at 245/65/R17 (750mm Diameter) but doable or may go 225/70/R17 (746mm Dia) depending on if they rub.

Off road for us is going to be mainly on sand and those 265/65/R17 would make the van travel over sand like a hovercraft. I'm thinking of going max out on tyre size and then air suspension which would stay low when on road (80% of time) to preserve the shafts and then go up when off road.

Cheers
    Last edited by Carlmaxx; 02-04-2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: formating

Quote Originally Posted by Carlmaxx View Post
    Cracking job on the Van mate! Seriously. Did you get the 265/65/R17 tyres on? Did they fit or rub?

Jealous of the tyre lift you can get away with there. In Palachook country we are only rated to 50mm lift total by either tyres or suspension or a combination but tyres themselves can only go 50mm larger diameter so I'm close at 245/65/R17 (750mm Diameter) but doable or may go 225/70/R17 (746mm Dia) depending on if they rub.

Off road for us is going to be mainly on sand and those 265/65/R17 would make the van travel over sand like a hovercraft. I'm thinking of going max out on tyre size and then air suspension which would stay low when on road (80% of time) to preserve the shafts and then go up when off road.

Cheers
    Thanks Carl and sorry for the late reply. Yes I did get the big tyres on and yes they rub, had to do a fair bit of 'clearance work' to make them fit. See below for an update.

Update time.

Recently I've fitted a few more items, replacing ones I had originally and some new.
    1st up is a new UHF aerial bracket I fabbed up so I can get rid of the fold over bracket. Nice and simple and takes up less room on the roof rack.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_5164_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_5165_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    Next up was the bigger 265/65r17 Toyo Open Country A/T II tyres.
    These things are huge and took a lot of work to make them fit, in hindsight I am going to go to a thinner version that retains the same overall rolling diameter/height, they will be 245/70r17. I will head down this path once I have my real tailgate wheel mount from Uberbus in the UK so I can then buy 5 new tyres and rims. The current rims and tyres will go on marketplace hoping for an Amarok buyer to snap them up. Here's some photos with the 25mm springs spacers that I also fitted front and rear
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4574_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4573_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4571_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    When fitting the spring spacers I took some angle measurements of the rear drive shafts before and after to see the increase 25mm spacer made, it made them overall 5 degrees steeper, I've got the 10mm diff lowering kit coming with the wheel carrier so will measure again post install of the spacers.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4504_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    While under the car fitting the spacers I also changed out the Haldex oil and filter and cleaned the Haldex pump gauze filter too.
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_4838_heic-2246x1440-jpg
    Next up on the mod list is a set of under body protection plates made locally here in Melbourne by a company called Boo's Bash Plates. They already had the template for the front engine sump plate but I also want one for the fuel tank.
    My van has now been templated and they're making one up. Very similar to the Seikel versions but massively cheaper. Available in both 4mm steel or 6mm Aluminium. I'm going with 6mm aluminium because of the weight saving as I am getting quite close to my GVM of 3000kgs. With the new spare wheel carrier and underbody protection (plus tools and gear for work) I reckon I'm going to be very close.

Also in the last few months I had a starting issue where I would turn the key, the starter motor would spin but the engine would not come to life. I researched a bit and couldn't find much about it and was heading down the path of a new ignition switch but, I then had the cam timing belt changed at 200,000kms by the guys at Baytech Auto in Cheltenham and the problem has since disappeared. My guess is the cam belt had stretched and the crank angle sensor would see the crank spinning on the starter motor but the the cam timing was out by the stretched cam belt and the cam angle sensor was picking up the cam in the right place causing it not to start.
    Baytech also sorted my speedo out as it was way over, 12% which was madness at 100kph cos I was doing 112kph!

Till next time. Cheers Markee.

PS. All you Victorian Transporter and Caddy owners come join us at our next Melbourne meet up (TBA) join our FB group here VW Transporter & Caddy Club Australia
    And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-img_5085_heic-2246x1440-jpg And so it starts.....my new T5 LWB Motion-f000b8a9-b11d-470b-99a4-1c17eae60da9-2246x1440-jpg

Hey mate, to centre bore mount these wheels I assume requires an adaptor ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    New wheels fitted yesterday along with the King Springs last week and we're up high and moving! Ride is incredibly good, it has probably even gotten better than the original ride to be honest.

Tyres: 245/65 17 Toyo Open Country A/T II Light Truck version with a 117 load rating
    Rims: Dynamic Wheel Company Sunraysia 17x7.5in ET30 5x120 in black, load rated to 1200kgs so perfect for me, centre bore mounted for the perfect fit.
    Total lift is 50mm front and 80mm rear averaged out over both ends from stock.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast