Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding Window Repair Kit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I was thinking that even the stock ones looked a little weak for what they intended. Very similar to you I was looking at creating a rod/loop running through the mechanism rather than relying on the plastic ball joint. I was thinking you could do this with wire rather than a steel rod (so it is a little flexible and wouldn't damage the plastic eyelet it has to run through) then cut the stock rod in half and connect the two parts together using a screw connector like this:

then if it loses tension you just tighten up the connector...

Will see soon enough when the parts show up if I can use them or not.
    Interesting idea, I didn't think of flexible wire at the time, from memory of the workings I think it might work. You may get better ones, but my replacements were really weak.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    For $17... we will see

At the very least I will have all the other bits in case I break something!

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I recently went through this as the butterfly release latch exploded under unnecessary force (don’t ask).

There are good videos on YouTube showing the process. Just remove the pin enough to remove the latch, you don’t want the latch assembly and spring to come apart.
    I sourced the parts from a wreckers and although not perfect (fair bit of wear) it’s holding up ok for now.
    Interested to know how aftermarket options go as expected it will be required again down the track.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Package turned up from Turkey today. That wasn't too bad at all!

As it turns out, it's a pretty simple job to replace it if you don't try all the mistakes I made first...

#1 The new plastic ends are ever so slightly smaller than the factory parts, this means you can't re-use the old centre piece or the old rods. I tried by the new rod would just fall out of the old centre when you tried to operate the window.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    There are good videos on YouTube showing the process. Just remove the pin enough to remove the latch, you don’t want the latch assembly and spring to come apart.
    Yeah... sort of wish I had come back and read that before I started You're totally correct on the latch. Probably could have done with a youtube video too, it really far simpler than I had thought... and I'd already looked at the mechanism! As for the quality of the parts, they seem ok, not too thin and they don't feel flimsy. We don't use that window very much at all so I'm sure it will work just fine for ages and at the price it's not too bad if it goes again. For now I'll put all the old parts into my box of spare bits in case I need to MacGyver it again one day.

#2 You don't have to strip everything out of the handle. Again I tried then had to screw about getting it back together, it's not hard, just a little fiddly.

So, to replace.

Step 1. Remove the outside trim covers, pull the centre gently until it bends enough to release the clips on the outside edges.
    Step 2. Remove the spring retaining clips top and bottom.
    Step 3. Slide the pin in the handle down *just* enough that you can swing the top clear of the mounting hole.
    Step 4. Slide the pin in he handle back up enough to clear the lower mounting hole, this then releases the handle without dissasembling it.
    Step 5. Take note which rod is bent and which is straight then remove the centre piece and the OEM rods.
    Step 6. Assemble the new rods and centre and install. If you didn't notice, one side is mostly flat, the other sticks out in the middle. The sticky out pit faces outwards.

Then work backwards to put the handle, springs and covers back on. I think I could knock one out in 10 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.

...or... just watch this video:
    Side Sliding Window Repair VW T5 ,VW T5 Side Window Removal - YouTube

Here is the first pic I took of the new lower rod and the OEM top rod. The new one looks slightly thinner.

The old parts out, you can just make out the half snapped ball joint at the bottom.
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 18-01-2021 at 01:22 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I bought the Turkish kit and it broke due to the thin plastic.... interested to see how yours performs.

Quote Originally Posted by gregned View Post
    I bought the Turkish kit and it broke due to the thin plastic.... interested to see how yours performs.
    Definitely feels a little thin, but that window is very rarely opened... Probably worth checking in at the end of summer after it's had a while to sit out in the sun/heat and see if it's till holding up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12