Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screwing Down A Ply Floor

Users Country Flag

Screwing Down A Ply Floor

Hi, I'm about to put in a ply floor in my T6 SWB so I thought I should crawl underneath to checkout where it would be safe to drill through for the screws/bolts. Shock/horror - apart from down near the the spare wheel I couldn't even see the underneath of the floor. I certainly don't want to go removing all the shields(?) I originally wanted to use small coach bolts so I'd need to be able to access the underneath to put the nuts on! - I'm not one for self tappers but this might be my only option, but where is it safe to drill through???? Any suggestions?
    2017 T6 2lt Diesel Manual
    The only person to get everything done by Friday.......was Robinson Crusoe.

Users Country Flag
    What's the chances of holding it down with double sided tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    What's the chances of holding it down with double sided tape?
    Not a chance the ply will flex as its walked on etc and will come loose ,New T5 Project this one of quite a few VW,s I have done its our own one but got the same treatment as I have done on others . What you need to do is to cut the ply then remove it and plot where the raised ribs are mark those onto the ply so you get the scews in the rib area , there are a couple of places around the edges where there are no ribs so you can use some ply to simulate the ribs and screw down through both thickness with slighty longer screws . The area where the metal ribs can be screwed into with only screws long enough to go through the ply and then the single layer of metal . So 12mm ply 15 mm screws or 20mm will be fine , the main area to avoid is where there are spot welds as it will be chassis metal and not easy to screw to . Depending on how good a job you want you can also back up the screws with liquid nails works a treat , I also fit some sound proofing material between the ribs to make the vans quieter which is the primary reason for most of the conversions I have done. Give me a call as I am Brisbane based if you have any other questions , sorry don,t do the work anymore for others as my back and knees cant take the bending etc but advice is free !! 0414312624

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Sunny43.5 & Kiels3927, my main concern is drilling into "something" under the floor but I gather that most "somethings" are well below the floor and the fuel tank How many attachments do you reckon considering the sheet is approx 1220 x 2240mm?

Users Country Flag
    Stikaflex is a great product for sticking ply to the metal floor ,its used to adhere Body panels such as Body kits ,

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Sikaflex is a great product for sticking ply to the metal floor ,its used to adhere Body panels such as Body kits ,
    That would be best.
    Liquid Nails is only a temporary solution as it goes hard and cracks after a time.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Like I said as long as you only use self tappers no longer than neccesary to go through the ply and then the first few mm of metal there is no risk , the raised ribs will be the safest as there are no parts underneath that sit up into the ribs . I did remove most of our underside alloy covers as I had to bolt wheelchair mounts and reinforcing plates so I got a good look at what was down there . Generally the screws can be fitted at 300 mm intervals front to rear and only every two ribs across .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks ian, LogicprObe & Sunny43.5. I'll go with the self tappers as I like to be able to pull things apart if need be. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Stikaflex is a great product for sticking ply to the metal floor ,its used to adhere Body panels such as Body kits ,
    I thought sikaflex was good, stikaflex must be incredible. Lol

I didn’t know even screw my sub floor down. Just templated it and cut it nice and snug. 12mm ply with ripped down strips at the low sections and aircell insulation everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

I’ve always removed lashing rings and used longer bolts to fasten down the rails I made, so the board was clamped down. It never warped. I guess you could use the sikaflex in the middle, depending what cargo you carry. But, I’ve never glued mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast