Thread: The s*** is hitting the (aircon) fan

Users Country Flag

The s*** is hitting the (aircon) fan

My 2007 Multivan aircon is becoming somewhat annoying. I get a sound that I first thought to be a belt, pully or tensioner issue, but, in a moment of inspiration, I've identified that it stops when I turn the aircon off - not all that flash in steamy Brisbane at the moment. I'm disappointed with my service company, because they claimed not to be able to identify & rectify the issue at the most recent service. Then again, they did resuscitate the fan when it went belly up earlier on, so maybe I can give them some slack.

Under the above, am I correct in feeling that it's an issue with the fan itself (a run bearing causing it to touch the housing, or an item that's managed to get into the system)?

More importantly, what's the complexity of heading into the guts of the system & doing my own fix?

Users Country Flag

What engine? The 1.9 is very different in setup to the 2.5 TDI etc etc, petrol will be more like the 1.9 TDI etc.

The actual clutch on the front of the AC units are commonly the source of funny noises in VAG cars. My Yeti has been "odd" and noisy since new. I hear the noise from various VAG cars driving by all the time.

Even a new clutch won't necessarily solve the issue. There are aftermarket clutches that claim to solve the problem, and if that is the source I'd be going that way. "X8R" is the seller of the one I found, but have not bothered with as yet. I'd do that and the bearing while in there.

For Audi VW Delphi Air Conditioning Compressor 5N0820803 Repair Plate Fix Kit | eBay

I find all the VW's I've had have made noise from the AC clutch, and over time it has come and gone. They seem to be a crappy design that runs "dry" and as they wear the noises and rattles change. The bearing itself on the clutch can also fail, again seems to be a common issue.

Best option for me is to play heavy metal and crank it.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 03-12-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.