Support VWWC

Thread: rough idle intermaitting

rough idle intermaitting

Hi all,
    I've been crusing around in the van we bought last year (1999 t4 2.5 tdi ) and were quite happy with it, but it still has this intermitting idle issue.
    it since has been at two different workshops and the first one said there is nothing wrong with it....well it becomes kinda obvious one the whole thing starts shaking.
    second workshop shop said that he checked everything found that the first workshop set the timing wrong checked all earths and all wiring and suggests to replace ecm.he says, it MIGHT be a glitch in the ecm.

the problem comes and goes, it can stay away all do and then it will happen the next day all day.when it happes it sounds very rough like random kits don't fire any more, say you approach a red light and when you come to a stop and it start running really rough until driving again.it might do it when the engine is cold or hot, it will sometimes do it at first thing at start up, with a full or near empty tank.it starts overtime first time, its good on fuel, doesn't smoke out rages but it does a little, overall when it behaves it runs nicely.

first of, does anyone here has had similar issue ?
    secondly, does anyone no a good source for a spare ecm ?
    thanks,mick
    Last edited by 02mick; 20-08-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: not just finished yet

Users Country Flag
    Pretty sure there's an idle control valve on these that's probably gunked up with solidified oil.

Also look at your distributor cap and rotor button. Clean any corrosion off the button and see how you go from there.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

i did wash out the idle control vale and have been thinking of just buying a new unit, surely cheaper than a ecm (-:
    i edited the post its a diesel, no dizzy here.thanks tho.
    mick

Users Country Flag
    Ah right, diesel.

Have you tried a throttle body re-learn on it?

Also cheak the wiring loom that runs over the cylinder head. Strip the convoluted tubing off it, and inspect all 20-something wires for damage.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

no i haven't, and i will this weekend ! thanks

bingo !
    )-:
    the protective wrapping has been rubbing the wires, we get the same issue on the detroit dd15 engines, i think its a stupid idea to pack wirring like this. anyway i also found that some wires had been cut.. no idea what there for.
    what i wanted to ask is this a common places for rub thrus or am i best to check further down the wrapping, at the passengerside-bottom of the block ?there is another bend there as well.
    thanks, mick

the protective cold

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rough idle intermaitting-img_1326-jpg   rough idle intermaitting-img_1327-jpg  

hi Umai,
    my diesel has a idle control valve, does that replace a throttle body ?
    i just replace the ecm after the checking the wiring toke it for a spin and problem still remains.i supose if there was any recalibration to be done the replacement ecu would have taken care of that ?

blocked of egr pipe, all troubles went away..
    should the engine management need any alterations ? thanks