Thread: Roof Paint Chip

Roof Paint Chip

Hi all!

Just recently noticed this paint chipping away on my roof. Started off small and grew to this before I chipped off the paint to stop it continually cracking. Has anyone had any experience with paint chips and the processes to fix/cover?

Had a paintless dent fix the other day and he mentioned it would be a whole roof-kind of job (expensive!). Is there any ways people have found to spot fix a paint chip like this, even if it is just momentarily until i can be phased to spend the coin to do the whole roof?

Roof Paint Chip-img_4145-jpg
    Cheers!

What year is the van ? looking at the top of the windscreen I would guess its a few years old maybe a T4 ?

Users Country Flag
    Its just plain white (not metallic) so a competent painter should be able to paint that front section of the roof for you and blend it into the existing paint - especially so as its on the roof of a van that no-one will ever see.

Otherwise a cheap temporary fix would be to buy a strip of black (or white) vinyl to cover that front 20cm or so of the roof to cover up that paint imperfection.

Its likely to be caused by a bird poo/tree sap that sat on the paint too long, or possibly poor preparation at the VW factory before the car was painted. I have read on here of other VW van owners having issues with paint cracking/peeling on the roofs.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Hi Sunny - Van is T5.1 2010 model.

Thanks Lucas, good info. I'll have a search around for some car painters in the area and seek their advice. Otherwise might try the vinyl route!

[QUOTE=Mtwem;1330103]Hi Sunny - Van is T5.1 2010 model. Thats a bit ripe for a 2010 model , its the same as ours but no paint peel so far . The reason I thought it was a T4 was from the photo it looks like the top of the windscreen has delamination marks along the top edge , those sort of white marks I can see . That usually only happens because of bad manufacturing age or maybe a replaced screen non genuine .

How about a black vinyl wrap on the whole roof, the ones I have seen look pretty good.