Thread: Installing rear seats

Installing rear seats

Hi all,
    We are searching for our dream transporter, a t5+ 4motion SWB with 5 seats.
    Can anyone advise on how feasible it is to buy a 2 seater (with an empty rear) and then get a row of passenger seats installed?

Ie: are the necessary mounting points all in place in the van body?

Has anyone done this and what might be a ballpark cost?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi jadasa & welcome. I believe with the transporter, all the neccessary mounting points would only come with the 'crewvan' option. There are 4 mounting points on the floor that a 3 seater bench clicks into, along with seat belt points on both the rear pillars.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Hi jadasa & welcome. I believe with the transporter, all the neccessary mounting points would only come with the 'crewvan' option. There are 4 mounting points on the floor that a 3 seater bench clicks into, along with seat belt points on both the rear pillars.
    Thanks MGV, I wondered as much. I assume then that installing seating is possible but the installer would need to add in necessary points, and of course charge more for the time!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Hi Jadasa - checkout the Techsafe (techsafeseating.com.au) range of van seats, you can get a 2 or 3 seater seat which come fitted standard with retractable seat belts (headrests and arm rests are optional extras) . They come with the mounting brackets, bolts etc.

My van is a 3 seater (front) so I managed to pickup a second hand Techsafe 2 seater for the back of the van. I got an installer to fit the seat for me and I gave him a hand, it was a simple enough process of just removing a couple of underbody cover panels and also lowering the fuel tank a few inches to allow underfloor access for tightening mounting bolts etc.

This was about 2 years ago and from memory he charged me about $350 which included a compliance certificate so I could register the van as a 5 seater, also I was missing a couple of bolts and a strip of strengthening channel steel that he supplied as part of the install fee.

The Techsafe seats fold up really compactly and are well made, i was lucky to pick mine up second hand for $300.

This was done in Sydney at the time but I assume you'd find a Tassie installer for about the same install price as I paid.

My van is an '09 T5.

Cheers