Support VWWC

Thread: Repair Auto or consider Manual conversion. Is it worth it?

Users Country Flag

Repair Auto or consider Manual conversion. Is it worth it?

Ok I have a 2004 Transporter Camper Turbo Diesel

Should I repair the auto gearbox or consider a manual conversion??

Any suggestion in repairing or who to go to would also be considered

Located Melbourne Australia

Until now its been ok but the threat of Auto issues has always been there.

Car has run ok for the last 2 years but on the weekend the auto gear box did not catch gear. Upon inspection there is oil all over the gear box.

Yes extra cooler installed a couple of years. But Auto has always been a scare factor especially after reading many comments regarding the van and its history with auto.

Speaking to a Auto mechanic he says that fixing isnt much of a issue its just the cost and where to get parts from.

With this in mind and the fact the auto has had recos on it with previous owner (1st needed 2nd one year later because of dodgy work) discovered after purchase that cooler had been disconnected.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    It's fair to say that a manual conversion will cost more than repairing the current auto box. Plus if it is a T5 then there's potentially quite a bit more ECU reprogramming involved in doing the swap...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you for your input. Do you know a trustworthy mechanic that will look at the car and auto in Victoria. I emphasize the the word trustworthy.

Users Country Flag
    I assume these would all do VW auto's? I only have a manual.
    I have only been very happy since I moved to Boris at Volkscare in Bayswater. There tends to be a waiting list though.
    But if you are more South East then others I have seen recommended but have not used myself are;
    VolkService in Braeside
    Dandy Volks in Dandenong
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    There’s also J&F Motors on Church Street in Richmond, just up from VW Commercial, I've never used them but just driven past many times.

Also Volkspower in Burwood (Florance Street). I am happy with their service.
    Cheers, Scott.