Support VWWC

Thread: Rebound adjustment base setting for Koni shocks

Users Country Flag

Rebound adjustment base setting for Koni shocks

Hi All,
    I'm a noob to this forum as I bought a 2009 T5 4 motion crewvan with diff lock and raised suspension last year.
    It has about 30mm lift compared to my son's FWD T5, via king springs (specials both ends) and bilstein B6/B8 offroad shocks. The front shock/struts starting leaking and now do nothing more that make a heap of noise.
    When they started leaking I did a little research and decided to get them rebuilt, but discovered that despite all the advertising to the contrary the front struts for the T5 are twin tube design and cannot be rebuilt , at least for less than the cost of new units. Then while trying to work out what model my struts were and where or not they were standard length (turns out they are) I had and interesting conversation with a damper rebuilder who suggested the Koni were built better with a larger piston and heavy rods and would be suitable for a raised van. More research and I discovered that Koni make a special active valved version for T5/T6 and I decided to give these a try as they have great reviews. With none available in Australia I decided to import a pair from Europe and have just had them clear Customs in Melbourne.
    These shock have adjustable damping that can only be adjusted by fully compressing the shock, which is impossible once installed. So I was wonderimng is anyone here as had experience with these shocks and could give me some guidance as to what setting might be best for the rebound before fitting. My main complaint with the Bilsteins before they started leaking was lack of compliance on corrugations, so was hoping to improve compliance to corrugations with the Konis.

Any advice appreciated

with the dust and flies in western Victoria

I've been running Koni shocks in our T4 Syncro dual cab since 2003. I fitted the front ones after the OE ones failed then I did the rear ones in 2004 when I lifted it 50mm with King Springs in the back and a torsion bar windup in the front. I suspect the front pair have now done more than 250,000 km. They are still fine. Not bad for a country driven car...

These shocks also have adjustable rebound control and (to be honest) I haven't changed anything on them since they came out of the box, apart from ensuring that both were set at the same point.

So I can't really offer any advice other than leave them alone!
    Last edited by Seano; 23-01-2020 at 09:29 AM.