Thread: rat chewed through side indicator wire

LHS side indicator wire severed

hi all,

It seems a rat thought my indicator wiring was tasty and chewed it off about 25cm from the bulb. Dang!

Can anyone tell me how to best get to the end of those wires to reconnect?

UPDATE: Not a rat! More likely poorly fitted rubber fitting that secures wiper fluid pipe as it passes through wiper tray caused fatigue in the wire where they are wrapped together by vibrating at highway speed. Have posted solution below.
    Last edited by paulba; 02-04-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    25cm is 10 inches, correct??? is there not enough slack to bare and solder it.. Other wise some crimp connectors will fix it even if you have to add a bit into it.

Automotive Crimp Tool with Connectors | Jaycar Electronics

At the worst you could use a chocolate block connector and some tape but thats rough.

60 Amp 12-way Screw Terminal Strip | Jaycar Electronics
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

thanks - actually i can’t see the end of the wires that’s coming from the instrument cluster... once i find it i reckon i solder it. I don’t know what to remove so i can get to it though... through the engine bay or remove that little quarter panel that the indicator light sits in or some other way? I’m definitely going to break something if i just start taking everything apart!

it’s the side indicator on a t5 so there just seems no way to reach the remaining wire without a lot of work

ok i’ve fixed this. I’ll try and describe it as best i can and apologise if i get some part names wrong.

The wires run from the LHS indicator bulb up and to the front slightly before running through a hole into the cavity beneath the plastic tray that the wipers are mounted on and then across to the drivers side of the van.

This is accessible by unscrewing two torx screws and lowering a plate that mounts to the wiper tray and faces the battery.

The wiper fluid pipe runs up through a slotted rubber mount that fits to the wiper tray. My rubber mount wasn’t securely fitted to the tray so i think the vibration of wind at highway speed was rattling the wiper fluid pipe and causing fatigue to the wires where they joined with the wiper pipe.