Thread: Potential new Bronco Trakka owner advice needed

Potential new Bronco Trakka owner advice needed

Hi Everyone, very soon to be an owner of a T3 van and need help.

I’m in a bit of a pickle, as I am about to purchase a 1984 VW Transporter Bronco Trakka but am not too keen on the original fit out as it’s a bit claustrophobic + the pop top seems like an extra task. I would much prefer just a simple bed in the back, to stretch my legs outside and to cook on an open campfire.

My question is, would it just be easier to buy a normal T3 with no Trakka fitout in that case?
    Is the 5k extra price tag (above current CaravelleTransporter T3 market) I am about to pay specifically for the Trakka fitout? As it seems non-viable to pay extra for a feature I have every intention of stripping back. Is the only thing different about a Trakka the aesthetics and not the actual performance/mechanics of the vehicle? (As it’s not a Syncro).

Would it be the right thing to relinquish the sale to a buyer that would appreciate it with the original fit out (as I am told there are quite a few interested buyers behind me)

Thank you in advance

Prior to the pleasure of driving a modern t5.1 highline 4motion van with heated seats and reliability etc., for 10+ years I took an ex-telstra t3 syncro panelvan and converted into a full camper fit out with westy roof etc. Hope to achieve the same thing with my new modern van, funds and time permitting.

I think it really depends on what you want to achieve. Any van is useful to drag a bunch of stuff to a campsite and easy enough to throw a bed in the back. A 'campervan' to me means it is comfy inside when it's raining and cold outside, and you didn't have to setup and pack down a tent. A pop top roof, sink and cooker inside can be very nice to have in that situation. All in my opinion, your use and tastes may differ.

So I think you need to answer questions like, will I want a sink inside? Do I want a poptop? Do I want underbody water storage? A rock and roll seat bed? The majority of things like this are no longer available new for a T3, or can be expensive after market stuff you ship in from the US, and even when you can score them second hand, each of them is a significant job to fit and you will need to buy all the fittings etc. Several fitout jobs you will want a second person to assist. I loved my t3 syncro, I loved / hated doing the fitout, and mechanical maintance. I didn't love the on-going costs. It was great at camping, just unfortunately (again my experience and opinion) not so great at that other job, of driving to the campsite.