Thread: Parts swap

Parts swap

Hi guys been a while
    Just after some information

I have a highline multi 2012 with a knackered motor, I’m looking at buying a 2012 comfortline as similar cost to fixing the highline. Is it possible and how hard is it to swap a few of the goodies like auto doors, stereo head unit and reverse camera and tow bar.

Any input is welcome
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Should be fairly straight forward , as most of these models would have lots of the wiring already in them, you would probably need to get some coding done as like everything VW does is like Apple products . You have to get everything okee dokeed by the factory with a computer . Tow bar will be a bolt of bolt-on job and again swap over the wiring loom as there will be plugs at the rear, stereo should a piece of cake again the plug will accept the new unit, not sure about the reverse camera but again there might be a loom to swap over as well or it may be in the new one .Auto doors I'm not certain as Ive never seen them working but again it should be a simple swap and then off to VW for some wallet lightening as they get their computer to tell your computer to play nice with all the new goodies. I just swapped over my Stereo to a Chinese solid state 9 inch unit and out of the box it gives me complete monitoring of the cars systems on screen as the unit came with a Can Bus Decoder standard and NO coding needed .

Ok great, that’s what I was assuming but you never know with vw, as you say a lot like apple. Doesn’t always play nice with others!
    Your stereo sounds like a good option but for me, I already have all the goodies but they just don’t move anywhere!
    If I bought a VCDS cable could I do my own coding? I’m thinking Ross tech enthusiast cable, probably cheaper in the long run then I could do things in my own time. Also have the bonus of having my own diagnostic tool. But I have no real experience of this so not really sure if it’s do’able

Well I’ve decided to bite the bullet and bought the comfortline.
    I’ll let you know how it goes, first up will be swapping the seats and installing tow bar.
    Leather seats but hopefully can sort the seat warmers too, just in time for summer!
    Not sure about tow bar electrics, maybe just go to the local auto elec and do the relays instead of swathe factory wiring. At least I don’t have to buy the bar

I think you will find the wiring for both your 2012 vans will be the same , when I swapped our tow bar from our 2005 T5 to our T5.1 2011 the harness plugged in but would not work unless I forked out some drug money at VW for a new harness $700 plus coding . I was able to bypass VW,s system buy purchasing a kit from Speedy Towbars for $120 , works like charm now for 10 years and NO CODING .