Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Brake light not working

One Brake light not working

2006 T5 kombi beach (multivan) the passenger side brake light stopped working, I have replaced the bulb but still not working, anyone have any clues about how this is controlled and what fuses are involved. I have looked at the fuse panel charts but they don't seem to show much.

There appears to be one fuse, Fuse SB9, which is in the top block in the middle of dash, so if one light is working the fuse is ok.
    Have you got an extra spare bulb to try ?

Users Country Flag
    Wandering somewhat, why do most vehicles blow their passenger side brake lights? That's my observation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrotek View Post
    There appears to be one fuse, Fuse SB9, which is in the top block in the middle of dash, so if one light is working the fuse is ok.
    Have you got an extra spare bulb to try ?
    I have put a new bulb in it, still not working. When I get time I will work forward from the tail light with a voltmeter and try to trace the loom. The van has had panel repairs done on the passenger side, maybe they damaged some wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    Wandering somewhat, why do most vehicles blow their passenger side brake lights? That's my observation anyway.
    I will let you know if and when I find the cause.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    I will let you know if and when I find the cause.
    Two T3 Variants, T2, T4, T5 Multivan, T6 Multivan - never a RHS bulb and similar with the cars I notice on the road

If Im not mistaken most of the tail light wires run through the roof on the passengers side .

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    If Im not mistaken most of the tail light wires run through the roof on the passengers side .
    Thanks, I hope to get a chance to trace it out soon, that info will help.

This fiasco is over, my fault, I had changed the wrong bulb !

Two odd things happened, one is that when you remove the taillight from the car and then remove the back plate that holds the bulbs it is facing down to release the clips, then you turn it over to see the bulbs. So the bulb you thought was the one is at the other end to where you thought it was, and then in addition, there is only one bulb that has two filaments, usually for tail light and stop light on any normal car, but in this case only the tail light filament is used and the stop light is never used ! So this is the bulb I changed, but the blown bulb was in fact the opposite end single filament bulb.

Because I was looking for a broken wire, after days of looking at circuits and checking everything, I decided to tap and shake the taillight assembly and wiring loom in the hope that it might intermittently work and so reveal where the fault might be. While I was doing this, it lit up a couple of flashes which led me to find the bulb with a broken filament.

LOL, these cars never cease to play tricks on you

S*****t happens .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast