Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007/8 2.5 TDI multicom auto box issue

Users Country Flag

2007/8 2.5 TDI multicom auto box issue

I'm the knucklehead who complained about my fuel consumption after I fitted 18" rims just about 15000k ago. The consensus was that the increased rolling resistance etc was the cause. I should have recognized that the issue also coincided with a service that included a change of gearbox oil.

If I didn't drive off my GPS which is hung high beside the rear view mirror, I maybe would have realised that the box is changing gears randomly when I'm running at 110 on the cruse control. In the past, that happens occasionally when on a steep pinch & it chooses 5th for a short burst & back to 6th, something it wouldn't do if I drove off the throttle, but that was fine & not an issue.

Anyway, yesterday, for the first time during my recent 4000 k trip I wasn't running in heavy wind & rain & I could take the opportunity to gaze at the dash. The bloody thing was occasionally dropping down to 4th & holding until I went to manual control. I have issues seeing those gear numbers because I had cataracts removed & my near vision point is beyond the dash, but the tacho going ape was a pretty large clue.

As an immediate action, I've reset the gearbox & I hope to find a friendly dealer or who might tale a look at the log to see if it can give a clue today. In that regard, does any member know somebody round Brisbane with pre-DSG auto box smarts who might hold my hand. I have a schedule of driving for the weekend & need to know where I stand.

John

I think sometime back I mentioned a company in Slacks Creek just near Jmac's shop .Trans Tech in Monte St , I used them to give me report on our T5 auto some years back . We had already had the box reconditioned by another company in Loganholme but to be quite honest I was not overly happy with the job , I took the van to trans Tech for a presale report and they serviced it a seond time and reported some micrscopic metal particles in the fluid . Now they could have been a result of new parts bedding in as after it was serviced the second time it went very well with smoother changes and the guy who bought the van from us is still driving it today nearly 7 years on with no further issues

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, Sunny.

As it stands, considering the consumption issue occurred immediately after the last service, I may have to talk to that company first.

John

From memory, our T5 also changed up and down on the highway frequently depending on the terrain , mostly it would stay in top gear but even just a tap or two to increase speed with the cruise control would make it change down at least two gears . I just got used to it but it was not a bad thing .

When mine's on cruise it will change back to 5th very readily, even at a slight incline, at 100-110 km/h. If i want it to stay in 6th regardless, i just flick it over to manual mode
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

It behaved impeccably today with the service mechanic driving on the Coast 110 section. Prior to that, they found that at some occasion, the oil was hot according to the readout, but that doesn't explain changing from 6 to 4.

Anyway, it gets serviced next Wednesday & I might ask for an oil change in the gearbox for the heck of it.

I would suggest maybe adding an oil cooler to the transmission , the guy who did the rebuild told me they all should have one to help the oil stay in good condition .

Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post

Anyway, it gets serviced next Wednesday & I might ask for an oil change in the gearbox for the heck of it.
    And a new filter
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    And a new filter
    Come with the deal where I get my service.

OK, I wasn't convinced that all was well despite a clean error log and recent 170k service, so I took the bus to Trans Tech today for a gearbox oil change as a first step to diagnosing the problem. Tell me, what's the price of scrap iron filings, much filings?

I had already looked at bailing out of this T5 for a T6, but the pressed wheels on the base model, the $5000 trade in offer & the $53000 price couldn't add up to what I would be prepared to spend on mine to keep it for another 10 years - if I'm still in the saddle then. It took me less than half the trip between Monte Street & Kuraby station to give Gary the go ahead to do the rebuild for me.

If I set up a cloud funding, will you guys toss in the $8K for me.

• The excessive fuel consumption occurred straight after the 155k service. Was that the cause? Unlikely, they're reputable & anyway the gearbox oil change component of a service doesn't blow up a box.
    • Consumption coincided with fitting the 18" wheels. Maybe that tipped the scale a bit, but others on this forum have not had adverse reactions.
    • Should I buy a big scratchie right now? Not with my current run of luck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast