Support VWWC

Thread: Oil under clutch - Master Cyclinder Seal

Oil under clutch - Master Cyclinder Seal

Hi there,

Cleaning the van this morning (2010 Transporter) and noticed some oil residue near the clutch pedal.
    Speaking to a mechanic friend it sounds like it's likely the master seal perishing and allowing some oil to seap out which will need to be replaced.

Has anyone had this problem before, and is it likely costly to fix? I'm due for a major serivce in a few thousand Ks so may as well get it in early and get it all completed. I'm wondering if the labour itself will be costly, or whether the mechanics will likely be working on that zone for the major service regardless.

Ideal to not drive at all until its fixed?

Cheers!

Oil under clutch - Master Cyclinder Seal-screen-shot-2021-01-01-1-30-46-pm-png
    Here is the image of the oil residue

Oil under clutch - Master Cyclinder Seal-screen-shot-2021-01-01-1-30-39-pm-png
    And the image looking up above the clutch pedal -

I would say it is an urgent job before you loose clutch pressure altogether.

I have found a link ( attribution to the UK VW T4/T5 forum) that provides good details per Master and slave cylinder and potentially all the replacement parts. I am not sure these days whether the cylinders are rebuilt with new seal kits and some honing of the bore or it is straight replace the entire part. I haven't had a manual for a while!

Suggest you obtain a separate quote from your service guy to your major service quote so you know what you are up for.

Clutch Master Cylinder Change | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum
    Clutch Master Cylinder Change | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Regards,

Scott

Users Country Flag
    I was driving a friends T4 on holiday in SA last year and had a fluid leak, turns out the fluid was leaking from a crossed threaded connection of the line, replaced steel line with a rubber line which was much easier to align and not cross thread. In the meantime catch the leaking fluid!

So i had a look at the brake and clutch fluid level and its well below the minimum level.
    Very lucky i noticed the oil residue in the footwell otherwise would probably have been away and up for a costly tow!

Thanks for that info Scott, very helpful and wil pass onto a mechanic when I can get it in. In the mean time I'll top the brake/clutch fluid back up and not drive it until I head to the mech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtwem View Post
    So i had a look at the brake and clutch fluid level and its well below the minimum level.
    Very lucky i noticed the oil residue in the footwell otherwise would probably have been away and up for a costly tow!

Thanks for that info Scott, very helpful and wil pass onto a mechanic when I can get it in. In the mean time I'll top the brake/clutch fluid back up and not drive it until I head to the mech.
    No worries Mteem. Hope it gets sorted. Cheers, Scott

So thought id just give an update.

I contacted a mate who works as VW dealer mechanic and went over to their head mech's place this afternoon for him to take a look at. He does servicing on the side for $ for friends and not through the workshop.
    He mentioned he'd never known T5s to leak from the master slave like that and generally was a T4 problem. I stupidly didn't open the cap for the brake and clutch fluid when checking - made the assumption from a line on it that made it look like it was below the minimum level - however when taking the cap off it was actually at the maximum level and could clearly see the line after noticing that!

He doesnt seem concerned and suggested i continue to drive it as no changes to clutch compression that I could feel and to monitor the fluid levels and residue under the clutch if it increases. I'm going to get him to do the service in the coming weeks and while he does he'll take a look at the master slave - as it is a bitch to get to and requires a cover to be removed etc.